[Pollinator] Fwd: Significance of Plants as a Water Source for Bees

Galen Dively galen at umd.edu
Thu Feb 24 15:13:17 PST 2011

Mary,

You probably have the follow up studies that were conducted in
Switzerland and by Bayer to assess the risk of exposure to guttation
droplets. If not, I can email copies of reports. Basically, they showed
no effects at the colony level with hives placed next to seedling corn
planted with Poncho treated seed. Toxicity is certainly a possibility as
showed by the study in Italy but the real issue is exposure and the
evidence thus far indicates the bees are unlikely to be foraging in
seedling corn at a time of the growing season when they would be
concentrating on pollen and nectar sources available elsewhere during
the spring nectar flow. To my knowledge I don't think there has been
much more research on this issue in the open literature but studies may
be underway.

Galen Dively