[Pollinator] Aussiebeewebsite on YouTube

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Fri Jan 28 13:24:54 PST 2011

Dear Colleagues:

First, let's thank Dr. Garvey and the other members of the Entomology staff
for the counter piece to that lurid and inaccurate  newspaper piece on the
wool carder bee in California.  This is he sort of thing we all have to do
sometime or other.  The only other thing I can suggest is that Dr Garvey
send a shorter letter to the editor of that Sacramento rag debunking the
piece.  Many of the older generation of amateur naturalists and gardeners
are simply not online.  My 86-year old mother still gets all her information
from hard copies of "The New York Times" and commercial television
(especially Oprah).  Perhaps Dr. Garvey could appear on Oprah before she
heads for Cable?

Second, I recently discovered Aussiebeewebsite on YouTube.  There are
several videos with some good close up footage of Australian bee species
doing Australian bee things to banjo music.  These videos aren't very news.
 Is anyone in NAPPC doing this sort of work?  If not, we might consider
encouraging it.   Try visiting this site to start...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kws65tIt5Ps&feature=fvsr

Peter