[Pollinator] Hilton Pond 07/01/11 (English Ivy Pollinators)

Bill Hilton Jr. (RESEARCH) research at hiltonpond.org
Wed Jul 20 19:03:17 PDT 2011

Most people would just as soon get rid of English Ivy in their yards because the alien vine often crowds out native plants. "This Week at Hilton Pond," however, we gained new respect for ivy as a food source for an amazing variety of insects that in early July had few other nectar plants from which to choose. To view our photo-laden essay on some of the fascinating creatures we found pollinating and nectaring on English Ivy, please visit our installment for 1-14 July 2011 at http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek110701.html

While there, don't forget to scroll down for a list of all birds banded or recaptured during the period (fledgling hummingbirds are here!), as well as acknowledgements of some special folks who recently helped support our education, research, and conservation efforts.

Happy Nature Watching!

BILL

=========

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director
office & cell (803) 684-5852
fax (803) 684-0255

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org