[Pollinator] Bee phobia

Sabrina Malach sabrinamalach at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 21:36:21 PDT 2011

I just received this email from someone. Any answers/suggestions would be
great.

Greetings:  I am terrified of bees.

When I noticed a dead bumble bee in my laundry room sink, I was a little
concerned.  Next day, I killed one that was flying around; same evening I
found a dead one on the floor; *next* day, I found a dead one again in
laundry room sink; *that *night, I killed one that was flying around; today
- another one is buzzing around in laundry room.

*THEN* remembered National Geographic's recent article about incredible
decimation in the number of *healthy* bees (as irreplaceable pollinators).

I decided to just shut the laundry room door for now, since there's another
one buzzing around, and ask for *help*.

Live alone in 10-yr-old house with finished basement/laundry room. I don't
know where the bees are coming in OR if they've established a hive inside
somewhere OR basically......anything about bumble bees. Help. Help. Help.

I'm afraid of these bees, so am inclined to just kill them. However, if you
have a viable suggestion that will not cost any money (going through a
$-divorce), perhaps there is a way to sustain this infestation of bumble
bees.  Look forward to hearing from someone/anyone at your earliest
convenience.
Thanks,
Sabrina