[Pollinator] Fwd: National Ecosystem Service Partnership Digest - Winter 2011

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Tue Mar 1 05:19:41 PST 2011

____________________________________
 From: nordmane at gvsu.edu
To: staceyb at cals.arizona.edu, cdelphia2 at gmail.com,  koneill at montana.edu,
prajzner at msu.edu, gardiner.29 at osu.edu,  phillips.1030 at osu.edu,
jt at pollinator.org, lda at pollinator.org
Sent:  2/28/2011 2:47:07 P.M. Pacific Standard Time
Subj: National Ecosystem  Service Partnership Digest - Winter 2011

Dear pollinator project colleagues,

You might be  interested in the National Ecosystem Service Partnership
Digest. See  below.

-Erik

Erik Nordman, Ph.D.
Assistant  Professor
Natural Resources Management Program
223 Henry Hall
Grand  Valley State University
1 Campus Drive
Allendale, MI   49401
616-331-8705
nordmane at gvsu.edu

>>> David  Cooley <david.cooley at duke.edu> 2/28/2011 3:48 PM >>>
NESP  Digest
The Newsletter of the National Ecosystem Services  Partnership
Winter 2011

Welcome to the first  edition of the NESP Digest!

We are starting these regular  communications to give you periodic
updates on activities of the National  Ecosystem Services Partnership
(NESP), as well as some other information on  ecosystem services that we
hope you'll find useful. These include news  stories, papers and reports,
events and meetings, grants, and job  opportunities. We hope this
information will help us fulfill NESP's goal of  engaging public and
private individuals and organizations to enhance  collaboration within
the ecosystem services community and to strengthen  coordination of
policy and market implementation and research at the  national level.

If you have items that you'd like to include in the  next edition of the
NESP Digest, please send them to  us<mailto:david.cooley at duke.edu>. For
now we plan on releasing new  editions each quarter, but if we get lots
of new material, we could move to  monthly editions.

In this edition
Ongoing NESP  activities
Ecosystem services in the news
Selected recent papers and  reports on ecosystem services
Upcoming meetings and events
Ecosystem  service grants and job opportunities

Ongoing NESP  activities
Collecting Ecosystem Success Stories

Many of us in the  ecosystem service community are familiar with the
Catskills Mountains/New  York City  watershed
example<http://www.ecosystemmarketplace.com/pages/dynamic/article.page.php?p
age_id=4130&section=home>
of  payments for ecosystem services. But in order to strengthen the case
for  protecting and enhancing ecosystem services, we need to find and
highlight  more examples of success. NESP is working with Tara O'Shea, a
Master's  student from Duke University's Nicholas School to collect
information on  case studies involving governments, businesses, or other
entities changing  their actions or policies in order to protect or
enhance the ecosystem  services that benefit them. We will be posting
these examples to the  NESP
website<http://nicholasinstitute.duke.edu/ecosystem/nesp/examples-of-success
>,
and  we are working with the Institute for Natural Resources at Oregon
State  University to build this information into the ACES web portal they
are  developing. If you have examples of ecosystem services success
stories that  we should include, please let  us
know<mailto:david.cooley at duke.edu>.

The Marine  Ecosystem Services Partnership

The Marine Ecosystem  Services
Partnership<http://nicholasinstitute.duke.edu/oceans/mesp>  (MESP) is
a new collaborative effort of NESP, the Nicholas Institute at  Duke
University, NOAA, Conservation International, and many others to  develop
and maintain a "virtual center" to better integrate our  expanding
library of economic valuations of marine ecosystems with marine  policy
needs. The virtual center will also host an active,  facilitated
community of practice to 1) link users and producers of  economic
valuation data, 2) help better interpret and use the data, and  3)
communicate with researchers, helping to ensure that new  valuation
efforts better meet the needs of data users. We are working with  MESP to
connect their data collection efforts with the ACES web portal  being
constructed by the Institute for Natural Resources at Oregon  State
University.

Ecosystem services in the news
Does  Placing a Price Tag on Natural Resources Make Them  More
Valuable?<http://www.newwest.net/topic/article/does_placing_price_tag_on_nat
ural_resources_make_them_more_valuable/C41/L41/>
New  West. Feb. 22, 2011.

Dow Asks, What's the Business Case for  Protecting
Nature?<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-winston/dow-asks-whats-the-busi
ne_b_819916.html>
The  Huffington Post. Feb. 8, 2011.

Using land wisely is crucial for  protecting  ecosystem
services<http://www.guardian.co.uk/sustainable-business/land-use-economics-e
cosystem-services>.
The  Guardian. Feb. 3, 2011.

'EcoCommerce' - to pay farmers for their  environmental  good
works<http://www.agri-pulse.com/Gieseke_EcoCommerce_20110202H.asp>.
Agri-Pulse.  Feb. 3, 2011.

Selected recent papers and reports on ecosystem  services
Todd BenDor & J. Adam Riggsbee. In press. A survey of  entrepreneurial
risk in U.S. wetland and stream compensatory  mitigation
markets.<http://bit.ly/fse5Ih> Environmental Science &  Policy.

Dan van der Horst. 2011. Adoption of payments for ecosystem  services:
An application of the Hägerstrand  model.<http://bit.ly/fVqliM> Applied
Geography 31,  668-676.

Carolyn Kousky. 2010. Using Natural Capital to Reduce  Disaster
Risk.<http://www.rff.org/Documents/Publications/Non-RFF_Pubs/Kousky_2010_Usi
ng_Nat_Cap.pdf>
Journal  of Natural Resources Policy Research 2, 343 - 356.

Evan Mercer, David  Cooley, and Katherine Hamilton. 2011. Taking Stock:
Payments for Forest  Ecosystem Services in the  United
States.<http://www.forest-trends.org/documents/files/doc_2673.pdf>
Ecosystem  Marketplace and the USDA Forest Service.

Oregon Sustainability Board.  2010. Senate Bill 513 Ecosystem Services
and Markets: Report from the  Oregon Sustainability Board to the  2011
Legislative
Assembly.<http://www.oregon.gov/OWEB/docs/SB513_final_report.pdf>

Giulia  Wegner & Unai Pascual. In press. Cost-benefit analysis in the
context  of ecosystem services for human well-being: A  multidisciplinary
critique<http://bit.ly/fZ7ntm>. Global  Environmental Change.

Upcoming meetings and events
May 23-25,  2011. American Ecological Engineering Society, 11th Annual
Meeting:  Engineering for  Ecosystem
Services.<http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/workshops/aees/index.html>
Asheville,  NC. Abstract submittal deadline is February 28.
June 28-July 1, 2011. World  Resources Institute and American Forest
Foundation, 4th Annual Ecosystem  Markets
Conference.<http://www.ecomarketconference.com/> Madison,  Wisconsin.
July 15-16, 2011.  Sendzimir Foundation, Synthesizing  different
perspectives on the value of urban ecosystem services: Seminar  and
workshop.<http://www.sendzimir.org.pl/en/node/281>   University of Lodz,
Poland.
July 17-20, 2011.  Soil and Water  Conservation Society  Annual
Conference.<http://www.swcs.org/index.cfm?nodeID=27786&audienceID=1>

August  1-5, 2011.  4th National Conference on  Ecosystem
Restoration.<http://www.conference.ifas.ufl.edu/NCER2011/>  Baltimore,
MD.
August 7-12, 2011. Ecological Society of America (ESA)  Annual
Meeting.<http://esa.org/austin/> Austin, TX.
August 21-25,  2011.  Society for Ecological Restoration, 4th World
Conference on  Ecological Restoration.<http://www.ser2011.org/en/>
Mérida,  Mexico.

October 4-7, 2011. Ecosystem Services Partnership (ESP),  Ecosystem
Services: Integrating Science  and
Practice.<http://www.fsd.nl/esp/77938/5/0/30>    Wageningen, The
Netherlands.

Ecosystem service grants and job  opportunities
Defenders  of
Wildlife<http://www.defenders.org/about_us/jobs/director_of_conservation_eco
nomics_and_finance.php>
-  Director of Conservation Economics and Finance

Environmental  Protection
Agency<http://cfpub.epa.gov/nheerl/index.cfm?fuseaction=postdocs.Detail&Post
DocProjectID=881>
-  Postdoctoral position on Ecosystem Services and Sustainability

Natural  Capital
Project<http://www.naturalcapitalproject.org/joinourteam.html#DoDEcon>
-  Research Assistant (Economics)

Helmholtz Centre for  Environmental
Research<http://www.ufz.de/index.php?en=11426> in  Leipzig (Germany) -
Two postdoctoral positions and one PhD position in  ecosystem services
modeling and valuation

Visit the NESP Digest  on the web at:
http://nicholasinstitute.duke.edu/ecosystem/nesp/nesp-digest

To subscribe to the NESP Digest,  click
here<mailto:david.cooley at duke.edu?subject=Subscribe%20to%20NESP%20Digest>.
To  unsubscribe,  click
here<mailto:david.cooley at duke.edu?subject=Unsubscribe%20from%20NESP%20Digest
>.

NESP  is housed at the Nicholas Institute for Environmental  Policy
Solutions<http://nicholasinstitute.duke.edu/> at Duke  University.

[cid:image003.jpg at 01CBD75E.E963A370]<http://nicholasinstitute.duke.edu/>