[Pollinator] ACTION REQUEST-Call Your Senators March 9-10 and Voice Your Opposition to Cuts in Farm Bill Conservation Funding

Tom Van Arsdall tom at vanarsdall.com
Mon Mar 7 21:58:14 PST 2011

POLLINATOR ACTION REQUEST:  Oppose funding cuts to farm bill conservation
programs in current budget

Participate in a nationwide effort by calling your U.S. Senators this
Wednesday-Thursday (March 9 -10), and tell them you oppose cuts to funding
for farm bill conservation programs that help ranchers and farmers improve
habitat for native and managed pollinators and other wildlife.

Just make two calls to the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121, and ask
for each of your Senators.

You can either make your points to the staffer who answers the phone or ask
to be put through to the legislative assistant who handles agriculture.

Suggested talking points:

.         Hi, my name is XXX; and I live in YYY.

.         I am calling to urge the Senator to oppose cuts in this year's
budget to funding for farm bill conservation programs that help farmers and
ranchers improve habitat for native and managed pollinators and other
wildlife.

.         Bees and other pollinators that help produce much of the food we
eat and healthy wildlife ecosystems are in trouble, and scientists point to
habitat loss as a major cause.

.         The 2008 Farm Bill for the first time included provisions to help
increase habitat for native pollinators and honey bees through USDA's
conservation programs.

.         I am particularly concerned because the House recently passed a
budget containing significant funding cuts in many of these conservation
programs.

Add any other points to express your personal views.

If you take time to voice your support for pollinator conservation funding,
you will be part of a coordinated grassroots effort by conservation,
wildlife and environmental organizations in the Farm Bill Conservation
Coalition.  The shared objective is for Senate offices to hear overwhelming
support (like a buzzing swarm of bees!) on March 9-10 from constituents for
conservation funding.

NO, you don't need to be an expert.  You just need to care enough to pick up
the phone!  ;-)

YES, your calls can make a difference.  Each Senator's staff tracks calls on
key issues like conservation funding, and constituent views are a factor in
Senators' votes.

With serious budget deficit pressures, Congress is looking for places to
cut.  Through your grassroots actions, we can try to at least minimize cuts
to conservation.  If Senators don't hear from constituents, conservation
funding could be a serious casualty.

PS-You can also help by forwarding this action opportunity to your network
of contacts.

Pollinators will thank you!

Feel free to send us an after-action report on your efforts.

Tom

R. Thomas (Tom) Van Arsdall, Pollinator Partnership Director of Public
Affairs

   (703) 509-4746

   tva at pollinator.org

   Pollinator Partnership <http://www.pollinator.org/>