[Pollinator] We will miss Dr. Tom Eisner

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Tue Mar 29 18:26:58 PDT 2011

It is with great sadness that I send this post to the pollinator list
serv.  It would be hard to find a more effective and consistent advocate  for
pollinators than Dr. Tom Eisner who died this week.  Below is a link to  his
obituary.  On a personal note, Tom was a profoundly kind as well  as
brilliant individual who had time for questions and support for the  pollinator
issue in the midst of his busy schedule, and even as his health was  failing.
He will be greatly missed.

Laurie

Dear ISCE Members and Friends:
I have very sad news to report.  Professor Thomas Eisner  passed away on 25
March 2011.  He was a great observer of nature. He had  profound impact on
most of us in chemical ecology, and he stimulated a love of  nature and
insects in the public.   Here is a link to an obituary that  gives more
information:
_http://www.newswise.com/articles/tom-eisner-father-of-chemical-ecology-and-
renowned-biologist-dies-at-81?ret=/articles/list&category=latest&page=1&sear
ch[billing_institution_id]=266&search[sort]=date+desc&search[has_multimedia]
=&search[status]=3_
(http://www.newswise.com/articles/tom-eisner-father-of-chemical-ecology-and-renowned-biologist-dies-at-81?ret=/articles/list&categor
y=latest&page=1&search[billing_institution_id]=266&search[sort]=date+desc&se
arch[has_multimedia]=&search[status]=3)
With Respect,
Ken Haynes
See additional notes below:
From: Tom Baker
March 26, 2011
I just received this sad  message below, forwarded to me by a new graduate
student from Cornell who is  coming to Penn State this June to pursue his
PhD here.

I would ask you  to please forward this to the ISCE membership.

I was fortunate to have  taken several classes from Tom Eisner when I was
an undergraduate and M.S.  student in entomology at Cornell. Eisner always
had the students so energized  after his lectures that you wanted to run out
and do experiments on all the  things he so enthusiastically said weren't yet
known. He showed everyone the  promise and excitement of exploring all
these things that he said nobody knew  anything about.

I was lucky to have known him, as I'm sure so many others  can say with the
same certainty.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Tom  Baker