[Pollinator] New videos on using and making glycol traps for native bees and mass painting of bee bowls.

Sam Droege sdroege at usgs.gov
Thu Mar 31 17:36:47 PDT 2011

All:

We have just posted 3 new How-to videos.

1.  How to make a propylene glycol native bee trap holder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x87CXM7mq54
Cost = about 15 cents each

2.  How to deploy, run, and process a set of glycol traps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0DAY7bNOR4

3.  How to quickly paint a lot of bee bowl traps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h-wA9M7-U4

Note that we are in the beginning phase of establishing a network of
glycol traps for long-term monitoring of bees.  We will gradually
implement that throughout the this year.  Last year's pilot and
recommendations are viewable at:

ftp://ftpext.usgs.gov/pub/er/md/laurel/Droege/Draft%20USFS%20Glycol%20Report%2022711.pdf

Which will soon be replaced by a final version.

Note that propylene glycol traps have the following advantages for
monitoring bees and doing bee research

1.  They trap continuously and thus remove the effect of phenological
shifts and the choice of trapping day on captures of bees and also require
fewer traps to effectively survey a site.
2.  They are less work as they need only be filtered rather than bowl
traps put out and then picked up.
3.  They can be incorporated into routine maintenance of weather stations
and other periodic events and thus are easier for maintenance and
technicians to man.

sam

Sam Droege  sdroege at usgs.gov
w 301-497-5840 h 301-390-7759 fax 301-497-5624
USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD  20705
Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

"Weather"

Weather, n. The climate of an hour. A permanent topic of conversation
among persons whom it does not interest, but who have inherited the
tendency to chatter about it from naked arboreal ancestors whom it keenly
concerned. The setting up of official weather bureaus and their
maintenance in mendacity prove that even governments are accessible to
suasion by the rude forefathers of the jungle.

              Once I dipt into the future far as human eye could see,
              And I saw the Chief Forecaster, dead as any one can be--
              Dead and damned and shut in Hades as a liar from his birth,
              With a record of unreason seldom paralleled on earth.
              While I looked he reared him solemnly, that incandescent
youth,
              From the coals that he'd preferred to the advantages of
truth.
              He cast his eyes about him and above him; then he wrote
              On a slab of thin asbestos what I venture here to quote--
              For I read it in the rose-light of the everlasting glow:
              "Cloudy; variable winds, with local showers; cooler; snow."

Halcyon Jones.

   - Ambrose Bierce