[Pollinator] Fw: [APWG] Positive interactions between native and non-native species

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Thu May 26 07:06:21 PDT 2011

I thought this request for info, which was posted over the Alien Plant
Working Group listserve, might be of interest to people on this list, too.
Please respond to Z. Yeates (cc'd on this message).

Thank you,
Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority - CITES
Chair - Medicinal Plant Working Group - Plant Conservation Alliance
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 05/26/2011 10:04
AM -----

"Z. Yeates" <z.yeates at btinternet.com>
Sent by: apwg-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org
05/26/2011 10:01 AM
Please respond to
z.yeates at btinternet.com

apwg at lists.plantconservation.org
cc

Subject
[APWG] Positive interactions between native and non-native species

Hello List Subscribers
I am a postgraduate researcher at the University of Gloucestershire,
researching positive interactions between native and non-native species.
I would be grateful for any information relating to research that has
detected a positive association between native species/native
biodiversity and the presence of a non-native species.
I am looking for both published (peer-reviewed) research and unpublished
research - significant or non-significant results.

Although I am interested in all research that has detected a positive
association between native species/native biodiversity and the presence
of a non-native species.
My interest in this subject stems from the fact that most research into
the impacts of established non-native species has understandably focused
on the negative effects of invasive species.
The positive effects that some non-native species have on other
non-native species are also relatively well reported.
However, my primary objective, as it stands, is to identify and retrieve
all (or as many as I can) studies that have uncovered situations where a
non-native species has (potentially) had a positive (or partially
positive) effect on a native
species/native biodiversity (e.g. increases in abundance, density,
growth, survival, fecundity and ideally, fitness).

Thank you and regards
Zelianne

--
Zelianne Yeates
Postgraduate Researcher

Disclaimer
Any requests, advice or opinions posted to this list reflect ONLY the
opinion of the individual posting the message.