[Pollinator] Pollinator Corridor question

Happy Tonics happytonics at centurytel.net
Thu Sep 29 11:30:43 PDT 2011

Good morning,

I will be speaking at Happy Tonics, Inc. Annual Meeting on October 22. I want to share some pollinator corridors that exist next to roads and highways with attendees. We created a native remnant tallgrass prairie as a Monarch Butterfly Habitat and have many pollinating species in the habitat. The highway, Route 63, is being enlarged and will come up right next to the 1/2 acre habitat. One board member feels we should put lilac along side the 40 foot narrow habitat as a privacy screen. I feel that native shrubs will grow in time (ninebark, juneberry and elderberry) and act as privacy screens. I don't want to put "non native" scrubs along the highway side of the habitat. They spread by rhizomes. It will defeat our purpose of demanding that the habitat remain true to being a restored habitat of native plants.

Do you have any photographs of pollinator corridors along roadways and highways so I can put a pictorial together and do a story board of the movement across the USA to create pollinator corridors? I would be happy to give you copyright credit and publish the idea on our Blogs and Website with your permission.

Please respond with attached .jpegs. Please write a caption so we can give credit to where the pollinator corridors are and whom the photographer is.

Thank you for your kind consideration.

Mary Ellen Ryall
Executive Director
Happy Tonics, Inc.