[Pollinator] native flower compensation areas and mango pollination

Bonnie Harper-Lore bonnielore at comcast.net
Wed Dec 5 10:03:45 PST 2012

Highway rights-of-way total 17 million acres of conservation opportunity.
Until 2009 when I retired from the Federal Highway Administration/FHWA-USDOT (who oversees State, County and Interstate use of gas taxes),
we advocated for the planting of new and preserving of existing remnant native plant areas throughout those corridors.
It is a win--win for all concerned.  Ultimately each State Department of Transportation makes their own decision
on how to manage those roadsides.  They only change their practices, if you, the public ask them to.
So please ask and you will have more than just patches of pollinator habitat, you will have corridors of habitat
that connect to public and private lands throughout the nation.  Midwestern States are already having pollinator success stories on their highways.
Bonnie Harper-Lore