[Pollinator] Hilton Pond 11/01/12 (Hummingbirds & Chayote)

Bill Hilton Jr. (RESEARCH) research at hiltonpond.org
Thu Dec 13 12:31:16 PST 2012

Our hummingbird expeditions through Operation RubyThroat last only nine days in the Neotropics, but it seems like it takes forever to process all our photos of flora and fauna, write the text, and compile the data for our requisite on-line report. It's a labor of love, however, and provides a full account for the public and the 12 citizen scientists who made our most recent trip possible. Our Neotropical work is important as we try to determine the role of hummingbirds as pollinators.

"This Week at Hilton Pond" we're finally done with our illustrated summary for Costa Rica East, where we again banded Ruby-throated Hummingbirds at a Chayote plantation on the Caribbean Slope--a place the species "isn't supposed to be." Our photo essay for 1-30 Nov 2012 includes lots of new scientific info about ruby-throats on their southerly wintering grounds. You can view it on your computer but it's also optimized for iPad, so curl up with your tablet like a good book, enjoy, and pass it on!

Because we WERE at Hilton Pond for a few days during the period you can also scroll down for a list of birds banded and recaptured there--plus some miscellaneous notes. We include a grateful acknowledgement of recent supporters for our education, research, and conservation initiatives.

NOTE: A few spots are still available for our February expedition to Costa Rica and one to Belize in March, but deadlines loom. (Nicaragua in February is full.) Sign up today and be a part of an exciting trip to study hummingbirds in the warm, sunny Neotropics.

To read all about our latest Costa Rica trip please visit http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek121101.html

Happy (Neotropical) Nature Watching!

BILL

P.S. Please "Like" our new Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/HiltonPond for timely updates on nature topics.

=========

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director
office & cell (803) 684-5852
fax (803) 684-0255

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org