[Pollinator] Fwd: [beemonitoring] Letter to New York Times

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Tue Feb 28 10:36:09 PST 2012

____________________________________
 From: bernhap2 at slu.edu
To: beemonitoring at yahoogroups.com,  pollinator at lists.sonic.net,
peter.raven at mobot.org,  adafni at research.haifa.ac.il, pollinator at nappc.org,
gary.wilson at derm.qld.gov.au, gibbsian at optusnet.com.au,  caroline.minogue at gmail.com,
Peter.Wysejackson at mobot.org, rmeier3 at gmail.com,  seago at oswego.edu,
james.seago at oswego.edu
Sent: 2/28/2012 7:20:56 A.M.  Pacific Standard Time
Subj: [beemonitoring] Letter to New York  Times

Dear Colleagues:

On Monday (2/27) the New York Times published an article (with nice color
photos) of flowers in bloom in February at the New York Botanical Gardens.
The writing suggested there was something "sinister" about plants in  flower
with foraging  honeybees at this time of year.  The following  is my
attempt to calm New York's flower lovers, gardeners and naturalists (see  below).
Please do not think I'm some sort of disbeliever in Climate  Change.  My
only point is that winter has its flowers too and, every few  years, New
Yorkers are permitted to view them in their appropriate season.

People should receive a positive introduction to plant-insect Phenology,
not worried into it.  Also, I could be very wrong but, if you see the  photos
on line, it looks like an Eranthis (winter aconite) has been mistaken  for
an Adonis (pheasant's eye).  Perhaps Drs Raven and Wyse jackson will
correct me or make inquiries of the horticultural administration (Todd  Forrest)
at their sister garden in the Bronx.

Peter

To The Editor:

Gardeners and visitors to the New York Botanical Garden should stop
feeling "conflicted" by the sight of plants in bloom this winter ("Amid Winter
Blooms, Pondering What That Bodes For Spring," Monday, 2/27/12).  Most of  the
plants described or photographed in the article (crocuses, daffodils,
hellebores, magnolias, snowdrops etc.) originated in southern China or the
Mediterranean basin where winters are mild.  New Yorkers feel that winter  is a
season without garden flowers.  City folk in southern Europe and  temperate
Asia do not agree.  That is why some residents of southern  England called
their daffodils Lent lilies and knew their hellebores as  Christmas roses.
That is why people in southern Japan once organized  winter parties to view
their beloved, ornamental apricots in full flower.  One crocus in Israel
blooms so early in winter that locals call them  Chanukah lights.  There are
many more examples.

Let's not worry about the honeybees.  They aren't native to  North America
either and suffer far more from Colony Collapse Disorder than  temperature
fluctuations.  I caught them repeatedly as they visited  mandrake flowers on
sunny days in early January in northern Israel.  Pollination of these garden
flowers isn't an issue anyway.  No one eats  daffodil pie and the
ornamental cherries, apricots and peaches are never grown  for their fruit.  We'd be
far better off monitoring the appearance of  such native pollinators as
bumblebees, sweat bees and hover flies.

Now, no one likes a magnolia blossom killed by a freeze but I  worked for
the New York Botanical Garden in 1977 and know that the magnolia  display is
unpredictable.  Chinese species planted in the Bronx grow on  the edge of
their performance zones.  New York is not Nanking.  I do  recall that we had
such a balmy spring in '77 that tour guides at the New York  Botanical Garden
were instructed to take the tour buses past the best magnolia  stands
because the flowers lasted over two whole weeks.

Most plants now in bloom at the NYBG haven't been "fooled into  flowering."
 They are doing what comes naturally this time of year when  the soil isn't
frozen.  Let's think of this as the winter New Yorkers are  privileged to
enjoy much the same show  others enjoy in the parks of  Barcelona, Rome,
Haifa and Tokyo.

Sincerely,

Peter Bernhardt
Professor of Botany, St. louis University
Research Associate, Missouri Botanical Garden..

__._,_.___

_Reply  to sender_
(mailto:bernhap2 at slu.edu?subject=Re:%20Letter%20to%20New%20York%20Times)  | _Reply  to group_
(mailto:beemonitoring at yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20Letter%20to%20New%20York%20Times)  | _Reply  via web post_
zU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3NTk4NTQ1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4MzEyNQRtc2dJZAMyMDI1BHNlYwNmd
HIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTMzMDQ0MjQ1MQ--?act=reply&messageNum=2025)  |
_Start  a New Topic_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beemonitoring/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMW83cHAyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3NTk4NTQ1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4MzEyNQRzZW
MDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzMzA0NDI0NTE-)
_Messages  in this topic_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beemonitoring/message/2025;_ylc=X3oDMTM1bWg4MHE4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3NTk4NTQ1BGdycHNwSWQ
DMTcwNTA4MzEyNQRtc2dJZAMyMDI1BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTMzMDQ0MjQ1MQR
0cGNJZAMyMDI1)  (1)
Recent Activity:
    *   _New  Members_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beemonitoring/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJnZjU3MjRuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3NTk4NTQ1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA
4MzEyNQRzZWMDdnRsBHNsawN2bWJycwRzdGltZQMxMzMwNDQyNDUx?o=6)  4
_Visit  Your Group_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beemonitoring;_ylc=X3oDMTJmNzc2NDIyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE3NTk4NTQ1BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA4MzEyNQRzZW
MDdnRsBHNsawN2Z2hwBHN0aW1lAzEzMzA0NDI0NTE-)

MQ--)
Switch to: _Text-Only_
(mailto:beemonitoring-traditional at yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional) ,  _Daily  Digest_
(mailto:beemonitoring-digest at yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Digest)  •