[Pollinator] Buzzy Honey Bees

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Mon Mar 12 16:21:00 PDT 2012

Many thanks, Dr. Jim Cane for this -
Folks- here was a surprise at our compost pile this weekend.  A  dozen
honey bees were actively collecting and packing coffee grounds,  selecting the
finer powder to make pellets the color of baking chocolate.   You can see
them in the attached pictures.  One can only wonder what this  dietary additive
is doing for hive mates.  It could be a whole new  buzz!  At least most of
the caffeine and polyphenolics should have been  extracted in brewing the
coffee.  No doubt this odd resource use was the  result of our first spring
weather, warm enough for bee flight, but without any  bloom yet available for
foraging.  StarBuckfast bees!
cheers
jim