[Pollinator] for discussion: should honeybees be allowed into conservation/protected areas?

Peter Loring Borst peterlborst at cornell.edu
Wed Mar 21 10:15:22 PDT 2012

On Mar 17, 12, at 8:57 AM, Randell Verhoek wrote:

> In my opinion wherever possible if beekeepers could have access to conservation areas that have enough flowers to make sense to keep bees there, it would be a benefit to our country where only good will be the outcome.

Thanks for the balanced point of view. I was reluctant to enter the fray, as this is a contentious topic. However, there is a mountain of evidence to show that natural bee populations vary radically from year to year, so it would be nearly impossible to prove that introduced honey bees had a negative effect. Sort of like pouring water into the ocean, the tide keeps going up and down no matter what we do.

Peter Loring Borst
128 Lieb Road
Spencer, NY  14883
607 280 4253
peterloringborst.com

I take the trouble to protest against these assumptions, because they are not merely harmless fancies, but theories that are apt to paralyse action and encourage scientific indolence. -- James Crichton-Browne