[Pollinator] for discussion: should honeybees be allowed into conservation/protected areas?

Rogel Villanueva Gutierrez rvillanu at ecosur.mx
Thu Mar 22 12:41:47 PDT 2012

Dear all:

I have observed that when nectar and pollen is scarce the competition
between native bees and Apis mellifera increases. There is not to much
problem when the food is abundant, is available for all bees. We should
consider as well the size of Apis populations colonies, up to 60000 or more.
I am sending you three references of the studies were made in the Yucatán
Peninsula by several colleagues and me about this competition:

Roubik. D. W.; Villanueva-Gutiérrez, R. 2009. Invasive Africanized honey bee
impact on native solitary bees: a pollen resource and trap nest analysis.
Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 98: 152-160.

Cairns, C. E.; Villanueva-Gutiérrez, R.; Koptur, S.; Bray, D. B. 2005. Bee
populations, forest disturbance, and africanization in Mexico. Biotropica 37
(4):686-692.

Villanueva-Gutiérrez, R.; Roubik, W. D.; Colli-Ucán, W. 2005. Extinction of
Melipona beecheii and traditional beekeeping in the Yucatán peninsula. Bee
World 86 (2): 35-41

The first two papers were made in natural reserves areas.

All the best,

Rogel Villanueva

El Colegio de la Frontera Sur (ECOSUR)

Quintana Roo, México