[Pollinator] Hilton Pond 03/10/12 (Hummingbirds In Belize)

Bill Hilton Jr. (RESEARCH) research at hiltonpond.org
Thu Mar 29 14:03:19 PDT 2012

As noted previously, it takes a long time to put together each photo essay that summarizes an Operation RubyThroat hummingbird expedition to the Neotropics. Nonetheless, I've just completed the on-line write-up about our third trip to Crooked Tree in Belize and have posted it as our "This Week at Hilton Pond" installment for 10-18 March 2012. In it you'll find lots of colorful images of Belizean birds and other wildlife and scenery, but the most important content is what we learned this year about Ruby-throated Hummingbirds and other Neotropical migrants that may show up in your own backyard in the U.S. or Canada. (We might mention our field crew this year was an eager bunch of undergraduate students from Keystone College in Pennsylvania.) In Belize ruby-throats dine on Cashew tree flower nectar and may serve as pollinators for this important cash crop.

To view the report, please visit http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek120310.html , and then get your hummingbird feeders ready for the ruby-throats' annual return from wintering grounds south of the border.

Happy (Neotropical) Nature Watching!

BILL

=========

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director
office & cell (803) 684-5852
fax (803) 684-0255

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org