[Pollinator] Blowing in the wind: how hidden flower features are crucial for bees

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Wed May 30 09:59:38 PDT 2012

University of  Bristol
Blowing in the wind: how hidden flower features are crucial for bees
Press  release issued 29 May 2012
As gardeners get busy filling tubs and borders with colourful bedding
plants,  scientists at the Universities of Bristol and Cambridge have discovered
more  about what makes flowers attractive to bees rather than humans.
Published today  in the _British Ecological  Society's_
(http://www.britishecologicalsociety.org/)  journal _Functional  Ecology_
(http://www.functionalecology.org/view/0/index.html) , their research reveals that Velcro-like cells on
plant petals  play a crucial role in helping bees grip flowers – especially
when the wind gets  up.
The study focuses on special cells found on the surface of petals, whose
stunning structure is best seen under an electron microscope. According to
lead  author, Dr Beverley Glover: “Many of our common garden flowers have
beautiful  conical cells if you look closely – roses have rounded conical petal
cells while  petunias have really long cells, giving petunia flowers an
almost velvety  appearance, particularly visible in the dark-coloured varieties.”

Glover's group previously discovered that when offered snapdragons with
conical cells and a mutant variety without these cells, bees prefer the former
 because the conical cells help them grip the flower. “It's a bit like
Velcro,  with the bee claws locking into the gaps between the cells,” she
explains.
Compared with many garden flowers, however, snapdragons have very
complicated  flowers; bees have to land on a vertical face and pull open a heavy lip
to reach  the nectar so Glover was not surprised that grip helps. But she
wanted to  discover how conical cells help bees visiting much simpler flowers.
“Many of our garden flowers like petunias, roses and poppies are very
simple  saucers with nectar in the bottom, so we wanted to find out why having
conical  cells to provide grip would be useful for bees landing on these
flowers. We  hypothesised that maybe the grip helped when the flowers blow in the
wind.”
Using two types of petunia, one with conical cells and a mutant line with
flat cells, Glover let a group of bumblebees that had never seen petunias
before  forage in a large box containing both types of flower, and discovered
they too  preferred the conical-celled flowers.
They then devised a way of mimicking the way flowers move in the wind. “We
used a lab shaking platform that we normally use to mix liquids, and put
the  flowers on that. As we increased the speed of shaking, mimicking
increased wind  speed, the bees increased their preference for the conical-celled
flowers,” she  says.
Dr Heather Whitney from the University of Bristol, and one of the
co-authors  on the paper, says that new ways of looking at the interactions between
plants  and pollinators are showing the ways in which plants can enhance
their own  chances of being pollinated by helping their pollinators forage more
successfully. "Having to land on a moving surface will increase how
difficult it  is for bees to forage. By giving their pollinators a surface that
increases  their grip, flowers are helping both their pollinators and in the
long-run also  themselves."
Katrina Alcorn, _Heather  Whitney_
(http://www.bristol.ac.uk/biology/people/heather-m-whitney/index.html)  and Beverley Glover (2012). 'Flower movement
increases pollinator  preference for flowers with better grip', doi:
10.1111/j.1365-2435.2012.02009.x  is published in Functional Ecology on Tuesday 29
May 2012.