[Pollinator] Hilton Pond 09/15/12 (Arrow-leaved Tearthumb)

Bill Hilton Jr. (RESEARCH) research at hiltonpond.org
Wed Sep 26 13:55:51 PDT 2012

Last week we were moaning about pain from strong biting mandibles of a Belted Kingfisher we were banding, but "This Week at Hilton Pond" we experienced agony of a different sort from a vine called Arrow-leaved Tearthumb. This seemingly innocuous native growing on the banks of Hilton Pond lived up to its name and shredded our skin when we waded into it. To learn what caused the lacerations and for an interesting close-up of one of the plant's tiny pollinators, please visit our photo essay for 15-21 September 2012 at http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek120915.html

While there don't forget to scroll down for a list of all birds banded during the period, as well as a couple of miscellaneous notes about hummingbirds and frogs. This week we also close out our birthday Facebook "Causes" fundraising effort; if you'd like to help, see http://tinyurl.com/bqm4h27

Happy (Fall) Nature Watching!

BILL

P.S. Please "Like" our new Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/HiltonPond for timely updates on nature topics.

=========

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR. Executive Director
office & cell (803) 684-5852
fax (803) 684-0255

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org