[Pollinator] Hummingbird not migrating in Canada

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Wed Dec 18 12:15:05 PST 2013

We all know that some migratory hummingbirds now spend the winter in
Louisiana and along  Gulf coats consuming sugar water provided in feeders.
 However, I've received a report from a colleague at the U. of Victoria
(BC) that their climate is mild enough for Anna's hummingbird (Calypte
anna) all year.

"Last week I had to thaw the feeder, and the bird came as soon as I put it
out. I guess there is nothing like warm sugar water on a day like that."

 Aside from sugar water in feeders, Dr Kuijt notes there's plenty of nectar
from garden flowers due to the mild climate of BC.  He has eucalyptus in
bloom right now and various breeds of Fuchsia magellanica are common a
flower all year.

There must be publications showing that some (all?) of the hummingbird
species nesting in California are now hanging around all year.

Peter