[Pollinator] New Video on how to Photoshop Digital Photographs of Insect Specimens

Droege, Sam sdroege at usgs.gov
Fri Jan 18 09:37:41 PST 2013

All:

We have been working with a lot of digital images of insect specimens and a
big part of getting efficient at producing good quality digital pictures
was learning some of the Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop tricks.

Here is a video that presents what we have learned and demonstrates how we
process our photostacked specimens to increase their quality for inclusion
in talks, posters, pictures, and as graphical images to imbed elsewhere.
 So, in other words we take it one step further than strictly a
documentation of what the camera settings are during the shoot and what the
specimen looks like on a pin.  For some, this is excess, and, perhaps
even indigenous to the extent that we alter settings, sharpen the picture,
and remove the impact of the pin on the specimen where appropriate...for
others it may be useful if your end product is more about an accurate, but
also appealing photo.

The video is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdmx_8zqvN4

Our Yourtube station is here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/swdroege?feature=mhee

Our photographs (all creative commons) are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/usgsbiml/

sam

Sam Droege  sdroege at usgs.gov
w 301-497-5840 h 301-390-7759 fax 301-497-5624
USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD  20705
Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

On the faint wind floated the silky seeds,
As the bright scythe swept through the waving grass,
The ousel-cock splashed circles in the reeds
And flecked with silver whorls the forest's glass,
Which scarce had caught again its imagery
Ere from its bed the dusky tench leapt at the dragonfly.
    -Oscar Wilde
--
*Bees are Not Optional*