[Pollinator] Hilton Pond 06/01/13 (Termites & Old Hummingbirds)

Bill Hilton Jr. (RESEARCH) research at hiltonpond.org
Fri Jul 12 11:22:07 PDT 2013

The 1-30 June 2013 installment of "This Week at Hilton Pond" is eclectic and comprehensive, covering topics as diverse as shed-wrecking insects and a Neotropical excursion to Belize. Of interest to many of our site visitors will be several comments about Ruby-throated Hummingbirds--especially concerning these birds' nest marks, surprising longevity, pink urine, and telltale pollination sources. Thrown in for good measure are discussions of windstorms, molting House Finches, abundant rainfall, roadkills, the New River, and benefits of good publicity. This latest photo essay is at http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek130601.html

If you missed our last several installments, they're all permanently archived on the Web. Simply link backwards from a current one to get caught up on what's happening in the Carolina Piedmont--and beyond

And don't forget to scroll down for a list of all birds banded at the Center during June--followed by an impressive list of 25 ruby-throats that came back last month from previous years.

Happy Nature Watching!

BILL

P.S. Please "Like" our new Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/HiltonPond for timely updates on nature topics. Follow us on Twitter @hiltonpond.

=========

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR., D.Sci.
Executive Director
office & cell (803) 684-5852

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org