[Pollinator] It's National Pollinator Week

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Fri Jun 21 18:02:50 PDT 2013

>From Mansfield TODAY
_Did you know? It’s National Pollinator Week_
(http://mansfield.htnp.com/2013/06/20/national-pollinator-week-why-you-should-care/)

June 20, 2013 _Areawide_ (http://mansfield.htnp.com/category/areawide/) ,
_Feature_ (http://mansfield.htnp.com/category/feature/)  No Comments

Pollinators are birds, bats, butterflies, moths, flies,  beetles, wasps,
small mammals and most importantly, bees. They are responsible  for
pollinating one out of every three bites of food we eat. However, these  invaluable
creatures are facing declines.
On Friday, June 21, the U.S Department of Agriculture (USDA), Department of
 the Interior, the Environmental Protection Agency, Pollinator Partnership
and  others will celebrate the 2013 _National Pollinator Week_
(http://www.fws.gov/pollinators/) , which is designated as June  17-23.
Pollinators are birds, bats, butterflies, moths, flies, beetles, wasps,
small  mammals and most importantly, bees.
They are responsible for pollinating one out of every three bites of food
we  eat. However, these invaluable creatures are facing declines.
The push for a Pollinator Week to raise awareness of the dangers to our
food  supply caused by such things as bee die-off and overuse of pesticides was
 originally initiated by the Pollinator Partnership.
You can read more about this organization and other National (and
International) Pollinator Week activities at this link
http://pollinator.org/pollinator_week_2013.htm
USDA agencies, other federal departments and partners also share knowledge
and collaborate on efforts to help increase awareness and tackle challenges
 facing pollinators.
National Pollinator Week is an opportunity to learn what steps we can take
in  our own backyards and communities to help pollinators.
The Washington festival will include workshops on how to grow a
pollinator-friendly garden from The Washington Youth Garden, the DC Beekeepers
Alliance and University of Maryland Extension. Other activities will include
honey tasting, a pollinator puppet show for children, and the USDA Farmers
Market.
Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack’s “People’s Garden Initiative” is
hosting  the Pollinator Week Festival for the fourth year.
The “People’s Garden Initiative” promotes the creation of school or
community  gardens that are pollinator-friendly.
For more information on how to register a new or existing community garden
as  a People’s Garden, visit the website at _www.usda.gov/peoplesgarden_
(http://www.usda.gov/peoplesgarden)
Posted June 20, 2013

Laurie Davies  Adams