[Pollinator] Alfalfa and Its Pollinators

Kimberley Fellows kimberley.fellows at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 13:34:27 PDT 2013

Dear Readers,

Genetically modified (GM) alfalfa is up for commercialization in Ontario.
Industry argues that since alfalfa is pollinated by leafcutter bees which
don't travel far, and not by honeybees, pollinator-mediated GM
contamination is not a problem. Critics argue that cross contamination is
inevitable.

I am reaching out to you, in the hopes that you might kindly provide
answers to the following questions. The answers primarily revolve around
the need for solid academic citations -- whether they are published studies
or simply your personal word. If the information below is incorrect in any
way, please let me know.

1) My impression is that leafcutter bees do not usually travel far. Their
maximum range seems to be about 650-750m. However, I have heard that they
may travel further over time to search for better bloom, and may
relocate further via strong winds and storms. Is this true? If so, do we
have an estimate for the far end of their range? (Source?)

2) Apparently, leafcutters are usually placed in field domiciles that
contain up to 20,000 bees per acre, but not all the bees return to the
shelter. Are there reasons other than natural causes of mortality, or
perhaps this relocation via strong winds and storms? If so, is there a
source that I can cite for this?

3) Honeybees don't tend to pollinate alfalfa because they don't
appreciate the trip mechanism of the alfalfa flower, which hits them on the
head. However, this is apparently a learned behaviour, and juvenile
honeybees may pollinate alfalfa flowers. Are there any citations for this
possibility/reality? We are arguing that even though honeybees, which have
longer foraging distances, do not commonly pollinate alfalfa, that doesn't
mean that honeybee-mediated cross-contamination doesn't take place.

4) Finally, I realize that a number of other native pollinators,
including bees and wasps, also visit and pollinate alfalfa. Other than
alkali bees, which other types of bees and wasps can be named?

Much obliged,

Best regards,
KiM*
--
*

*K i m b e r l e y   M.   F e l l o w s**
*Pollination Outreach Coordinator*
*Seeds of Diversity <http://www.seeds.ca/en.php> ~ Pollination
Canada<http://www.seeds.ca/proj/poll/>
Semences du Patrimoine <http://www.seeds.ca/fr.php> ~ Pollinisation Canada
<http://www.pollinisationcanada.ca/>303-40 King Street South
Waterloo ON N2J 1N8 Canada

Heard about Bee Friendly Farming or
Gardening<http://www.fooddowntheroad.ca/content/introducing-bee-friendly-farming>
?

"Spot Your Flower <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3pIuy69UE8>" *
* Yes, you're right ... the film uses the word 'proboscis' incorrectly, for
a moth's proboscis refers to their feeding tube, and would be more
accurately described as a tongue. In contrast, proboscis usually refers to
a nose in the vertebrate world (animals with a backbone). A majority
of pollinators
inadvertently spread flower pollen simply as they feed on pollen and nectar for
their own nutritional needs. Do not be confused -- in this film clip
featuring this particular orchid pollination, it is still plant pollen that
is involved in pollination -- you can learn more about this wondrous,
unusual strategy in Michael Pollan's musings Love and
Lies<http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/print/2009/09/orchids/pollan-text>
.