[Pollinator] Upcoming Symposium (June 22) on Plants and their Pollinators: Interactions for a Healthy Planet

Matthew Shepherd mdshepherd at xerces.org
Sat May 11 06:54:48 PDT 2013

I'm just passing this along!

From: Peter Bryant [mailto:pjbryant at uci.edu]
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2013 4:32 PM
Subject: Upcoming Symposium (June 22) on Plants and their Pollinators:
Interactions for a Healthy Planet

Dear Friends (apologies for duplicate postings):  I hope you can join us for
this event!  And if you can help us to publicize it by forwarding the
following and the attached flier to whatever lists you may have access to, I
would appreciate it!   I have already sent it to Entomological Association
of Southern California, NABA and Xerces.

Thanks!

Peter Bryant

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE; PLEASE FORWARD TO APPROPRIATE MAILING LISTS:

Contact: Peter Bryant
949-933-9654
pjbryant at uci.edu

NEWPORT BAY CONSERVANCY PRESENTS ITS THIRD ANNUAL NEWPORT BAY SYMPOSIUM:

Plants and their Pollinators:
Interactions for a Healthy Planet

Peter and Mary Muth Interpretive Center,
Newport Bay Nature Preserve, Newport Beach, CA

Saturday June 22, 2013, 9am - 3pm

Learn about the plants and insects that we all depend on!

Timed to coincide with National Pollinator week, this program will bring
together some of our foremost local experts on native plants and their
vitally important partners, the insect pollinators.  Jutta Burger will
discuss recent volunteer programs conducted by the Irvine Ranch Conservancy
to survey our local butterfly populations on a continuing, monthly basis.
Our Keynote speaker will be the well-known local expert on both plants AND
insects, "Bug-Bob" Allen, who will talk about some of the more unusual
pollination mechanisms.  He will be followed by Richard Minnich from UC
Riverside who will discuss our declining Wildflower populations, and Scott
Hoffman Black, the Executive Director of the Xerces Society for Invertebrate
Conservation, who will talk about the problems caused by systemic
insecticides, especially neonicotinoids which generate toxic pollen and
nectar and were recently banned in the European Union but are still used in
the U.S.

The talks will be followed by a native plant sale during lunchtime, and the
day will conclude with a series of informal field trips to local trails
where some of these plants and insects are found.

Save your space by registering on line at www.NewportBay.org
<http://www.newportbay.org/>
or at the front desk at the Peter and Mary Muth Interpretive Center!
NBC Members and Students $20; Non-members $40 (includes lunch!)
NON-MEMBERS SPECIAL: $50 includes symposium, lunch and individual annual NBC
membership
(= $65 value;  includes $10 kayak tours, reduced prices to events such as
this, gift shop discount and more!)

Please post or distribute the attached flier!