[Pollinator] Postdoc position, nectar and pollen production, USDA-ARS

David Inouye inouye at umd.edu
Tue Oct 1 12:32:45 PDT 2013

From: "Forcella, Frank" <Frank.Forcella at ARS.USDA.GOV>

My lab will have an open post-doc position starting this winter or
spring (2014). The position will be devoted to the timing and
abundance of pollen and nectar production of a wide variety of crops
and native plants, as well as determination of how these variables
influence populations of managed and wild pollinators.

If you know of any recent PhDs who are looking for a post-doctoral
position, please have them contact me.

Our small and somewhat isolated laboratory is in the midst of farm
country on the eastern edge of the Great Plains. It is not stunningly
beautiful like the RMBL, but it does have its own charm, primarily
because of its cordial group of employees. One of our aims is to
diversify the regional landscape with alternative crops, most of
which have bright and showy insect-pollinated flowers. We are
starting to make some progress in this regard, and now we need to
more fully document how these new crops provide ecosystem services,
such as floral resources for pollinators.

The post-doc will have considerable leeway in terms of research and
can interact closely with the bee research group at the University of
Minnesota. Moreover, salaries for ARS-funded post-docs are
considerably higher than those for comparable positions at
universities. Thus, the position should be both interesting and
lucrative for the right person.

Cheers,

Frank

Frank Forcella