[Pollinator] Hilton Pond 10/11/13 (Schweinitz's Endangered Sunflower)

Bill Hilton Jr. (RESEARCH) research at hiltonpond.org
Mon Oct 21 10:24:48 PDT 2013

Since 2006 I've been following the progress of the Center's solitary specimen of Schweinitz's Sunflower--a federally endangered species that once flourished on the vast Piedmont Prairie.

"This Week at Hilton Pond" our plant had its most prolific bloom ever, even though many of its ray flowers disappeared almost overnight. For a photo essay about this curious phenomenon and what might have caused it, please visit the installment for 11-20 October 2013 at http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek131011.html

While these don't forget to scroll down for our admittedly short lists of birds banded and recaptured during the period, along with Miscellaneous Notes about everything from Wood Ducks to deck demolition.

Happy (Autumn) Nature Watching!

BILL

P.S. Please "Like" our new Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/HiltonPond for timely updates on nature topics. Follow us on Twitter @hiltonpond.

=========

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR., D.Sci.
Executive Director
office & cell (803) 684-5852

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org