[Pollinator] Hilton Pond 08/16/13 (Wildflowers & Pollinators)

Bill Hilton Jr. (RESEARCH) research at hiltonpond.org
Tue Sep 3 19:24:57 PDT 2013

I was in southern West Virginia in late August for the annual New River Hummingbird Festival and got to spend some time in the field with a Canon SX50 (set to macro), photographing flowers (wild and otherwise) and some of their pollinators--including butterflies and hummingbirds. To view our latest photo essay about such things, please visit our "This Week at Hilton Pond" installment for 16-31 Aug 2013 at http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek130816.html (We humbly request verification of the identity of a few blossoms and insects.)

Along with our usual list of birds banded and recaptured at Hilton Pond during the period are a few miscellaneous nature comments. We also include a note about the passing of Ken Wood, beloved naturalist at the University of Wisconsin Arboretum who participated in our Operation RubyThroat Neotropical hummingbird expeditions and was a strong supporter of Hilton Pond initiatives.

Happy Nature Watching!

BILL

P.S. Please "Like" our new Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/HiltonPond for timely updates on nature topics. Follow us on Twitter @hiltonpond.

=========

RESEARCH PROGRAM
c/o BILL HILTON JR., D.Sci.
Executive Director
office & cell (803) 684-5852

Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net):
Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History at http://www.hiltonpond.org
"Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project" at http://www.rubythroat.org