[Pollinator] UGA to generate buzz

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Fri Sep 6 08:42:27 PDT 2013

UGA to generate  buzz with Brunswick pollinator event

(http://www.redandblack.com/uganews/science_health/uga-to-generate-buzz-with-brunswick-pollinator-event/article_15ae9608-d859-11e2-aa54-001a4bcf6878.ht
ml#)

(http://www.redandblack.com/uganews/science_health/uga-to-generate-buzz-with-brunswick-pollinator-event/article_15ae9608-d859-11e2-aa54-001a4bcf6878.ht
ml?mode=image&photo=0)
Photo source flickr.com
Pollinator Week
To celebrate National Pollinator Week, the CoastScapes sustainable
landscaping program will hold an event in Brunswick to “kickoff” the week,
according to a UGA Today news release.

2013.

_UGA to generate buzz with Brunswick pollinator event_
(http://www.redandblack.com/uganews/science_health/uga-to-generate-buzz-with-brunswick-pollinator
-event/redandblack.com/uganews/science_health/uga-to-generate-buzz-with-brun
swick-pollinator-event/article_15ae9608-d859-11e2-aa54-001a4bcf6878.html)
Brad  Mannion RedAndBlack.com | _0 comments _
(http://www.redandblack.com/uganews/science_health/uga-to-generate-buzz-with-brunswick-pollinator-event/art
icle_15ae9608-d859-11e2-aa54-001a4bcf6878.html#user-comment-area)

To celebrate National Pollinator Week, the Marine Extension Service and
Georgia Sea Grant plan to commemorate the week, and doing so, the CoastScapes
sustainable landscaping program will hold an event in Brunswick to “kickoff”
 the  week.
The event, to be held on June 20 at the MAREX Brunswick station and native
plant demonstration garden at 715 Bay St., is sponsored by CoastScapes and
several other partners. Along with the Glynn County Farm Bureau’s Beekeepers
’  Committee, other national groups are helping with the event.
“We’re having partners – the USDA and the Natural Resources Conservation
Services – they are federally very much promoters of pollinator protection
and  habitat,” said Keren Giovengo, program manager for CoastScapes.
“Pollinators are imperative to us for our survival,” Giovengo said. “One
out  of every three bites [of food] or drinks that you take is dependent on a
 pollinator. They’re providing us with food and beverages and clothing.
Even some  of our medicine is dependent on pollinators.”
In its second year, the event will be held from 9 a.m. to noon, one hour
longer than last year’s event. With such positive feedback from the first
event,  Giovengo said holding a second celebration was assumed.
“We had one last year as well, and it was just two hours last year, and we
had about 68 people come,” Giovengo said. “I had emails inquiring whether
we  were going to do it again, and I thought absolutely.”
Much like the 2012 event, Giovengo said the kickoff will include tours and
sightseeing of over 100 plant species and dozens of different coastal
Georgia  pollinators.
“We have about half an acre of 120 native plant species,” Giovengo said, “
and  people can walk around and check out the flowers and pollinators.”
Giovengo said the main reason to celebrate pollinators is that they help
provide more things than most people  know.

Laurie Davies  Adams
Executive Director
Pollinator Partnership
423 Washington St.  5th Fl.