[Pollinator] Oregon Dept of Ag Story of the Week: Homeowners urged to "bee"careful using pesticides

Matthew Shepherd mdshepherd at xerces.org
Fri Apr 4 10:42:32 PDT 2014

Subject: ODA Story of the Week: Homeowners urged to "bee"careful using
pesticides

Date: April 3, 2014 at 5:21:48 PM PDT

Awareness of pollinator protection is a key message this spring from ODA &
others
Homeowners urged to "bee" careful using pesticides

April 3, 2014. Now that days are getting longer and temperatures are
warming, homeowners are beginning the annual rite of spring that involves
getting their yards and gardens in proper shape. For many Oregonians, that
process involves the use of pesticides. This year, a new and strong emphasis
is being placed on protecting bees and other pollinators when using
pesticides.

Highly publicized bee deaths last year in Oregon has changed the
conversation among many consumers and pesticide regulatory officials.

"We are hearing from homeowners who may be reluctant to use pesticides
because of what happened to the bees last year," says Rose Kachadoorian of
the Oregon Department of Agriculture's Pesticides Program. "They are seeking
out information about the least toxic pesticides and when is the best time
to use pesticides. We are not discouraging anyone from using these products,
we just want everyone to be smart about it."

Kachadoorian believes homeowners, plants, bees, and pesticides can co-exist.
The same advice offered every year regarding home use pesticides still
applies this spring.

"People always need to read the pesticide product label," says Kachadoorian.

The label tells you what pests the product takes care of and what types of
plants it can be used on. It lists steps on how to protect yourself and
others during the application. Reading the label will also guide you through
the proper method of handling the pesticide. It tells you how to correctly
mix the product if it isn't already mixed. The label also tells you when to
apply the product. Some pesticides require dry conditions, others do fine
even if it rains afterwards. The label emphasizes keeping children and pets
away from the material during mixing and application.

Now, at least for some products, the label cautions against harming
pollinators. Certain products containing neonicotinoids- a class of
pesticides- are now required by the US Environmental Protection Agency to
contain a bee advisory section. It includes a bee icon that helps inform the
user that the product is a potential hazard to bees. The new label language
prohibits the use of the pesticide product when bees are foraging and plants
are in bloom. It also highlights the importance of avoiding drift during
application. This information is consistent with the messages delivered by
ODA this spring.

"We certainly advise homeowners not to make an insecticide application to
plants that are in bloom because bees may come visit those plants," says
Kachadoorian. "We also tell people to avoid drift. You may be making an
application to a plant not in bloom, but it's right next to a plant that is
in bloom. Make sure the wind isn't blowing towards the blooming plant or
that you aren't using too fine a spray. Maybe consider using a granular
product on the plant not in bloom."

One challenge to homeowners is that plants bloom at different times and some
bloom multiple times. Some product labels may indicate no application can be
made until all the petals have dropped, which could force homeowners to
search for an alternative product.

"Overall, if people can hold off and just wait until after bloom, that is
the safest way to go," says Kachadoorian. "Pollinators are attracted to most
flowering plants in bloom."

The new EPA labels are in the marketplace today. But there are still
products with old labels on the shelf. Within a year or two, it's expected
consumers will only see the newer labels with the protective information.

Of course, potential problems may be avoided even before homeowners consider
pesticides. A reconnaissance mission on the property to determine if there
is a serious pest problem is a good initial step.

"In addition to knowing the pest level, people really should be aware of how
many pollinators they have in their yard," says Kachadoorian. "Go and look
around. Get to know your plants. Find out which plants will be blooming and
when. That will help you decide if and when to make a pesticide
application."

Homeowners sometimes rely on commercial applicators to treat their property
with pesticides. ODA is making sure its educational efforts on pollinator
protection includes the professionals. Additional emphasis is now included
in the required testing process to become licensed, and in re-certification
classes.

"We have rewritten the exams given to commercial applicators to include more
information about pollinator protection and pesticides that might affect
bees," says Kachadoorian. "We've given a lot more presentations and provided
study material on how to protect pollinators. We have been educating
commercial applicators on the new label language and how they have to follow
it."

Last year, ODA issued civil penalties to a licensed commercial pesticide
operator involved in pesticide applications that resulted in the death of a
large number of bumblebees in the summer. ODA's investigation found that a
pesticide product particularly harmful to bees was applied on trees with
flowers in bloom. The same scenario can play out on a smaller scale in the
backyard or garden. That's why so much attention is being placed this year
on educating everyone who might be using pesticide products.

ODA is collaborating with Oregon State University to develop brochures and
other helpful materials that emphasize pollinator protection. There is also
a list of resources on ODA's website at
<http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/PEST/Pages/Pollinator.aspx#Resources>. That list
includes a link to the National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC), where
homeowners can get specific product information that includes toxicity
levels and how long the pesticide active ingredients last following
application.

"Many of us weren't aware of the impacts that a lot of these pesticides
potentially have on pollinators," says Kachadoorian. "But now I think we can
figure out ways to use these products safely by considering the timing of
applications or selecting a product with a different active ingredient."

Commercial applicator or homeowner, an educated individual is more likely to
avoid harming bees.

For more information, contact Rose Kachadoorian at (503) 986-4651.

For an audio version of this story, please go to
http://oregon.gov/ODA/Pages/news/140402home_pesticides_audio.aspx