[Pollinator] Postdoc position in native and honey bee disease ecology

David Inouye inouye at umd.edu
Mon Apr 21 08:42:30 PDT 2014

POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH POSITION IN NATIVE AND HONEY BEE DISEASE ECOLOGY,
NORTH CAROLINA, USA

North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC), Departments of Entomology
and Biological Science

We are looking for an individual to join an interdisciplinary,
collaborative team studying urban ecology, bee communities, and mechanisms
underlying changes in pollinator health. We seek an enthusiastic, talented,
and driven individual to carry out a funded research project and conduct
related original research. The candidate will be working with Drs. David
Tarpy and Steve Frank in Entomology (http://entomology.ncsu.edu) and Dr.
Rob Dunn in Biological Sciences (http://robdunnlab.com, yourwildlife.org).

The postdoc would be part of a large, social group that includes
researchers both at the University and at the NC Museum of Natural
Sciences, a group that currently includes 15 other postdocs.

We want to know why bees get sick and the extent to which disease is
contingent on whether they are solitary or social, feral or domesticated.
This work will span the spectrum from ecological surveys to immunological
assays and lab experiments. The candidate should have excellent written and
oral communication skills, the ability to work with others, and
demonstrated success in project completion. This project entails extensive
field and laboratory work, so experience in molecular biology, genetics,
and/or insect physiology AND conducting field research is preferred.
Expertise in arthropods, urban ecology, or climate change is of particular
interest.

The start date is flexible but work can begin as soon as July 2014. We will
begin reviewing applications immediately and continue until the position is
filled. Funding is available for multiple years, contingent on satisfactory
progress. To apply, please send your CV, a short statement of research
interests, contact information for three references, and a representative
paper or manuscript to David Tarpy (drtarpy at ncsu.edu).

AA/EOE. ADA accommodations. All persons are welcome without regard to
sexual orientation.