[Pollinator] Extracting pollen from ethanol

John Purdy johnrpurdy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 09:40:22 PDT 2014

Does the centrifuge cause pollen to cake and be more difficult to work with?
Similarly does the process of drying down deposit any material that was
dissolved in the ethanol onto the pollen grains making them harder to work
with?

There are 3 approaches to consider:
1) filtration through a 5 micron filter - there are filter cassettes that
fit onto a syringe or you can use vacuum to draw the liquid through.
2) You can use a vacuum chamber that takes multiple samples simultaneously
and dries down the solvent.
3) you can set the samples in a tray and use a gentle stream of air or
nitrogen gas to speed up the evaporation. I think the apparatus with
multiple air jets can be purchased.

John Purdy PhD