[Pollinator] neonicotinoid research in Sweden

David Inouye inouye at umd.edu
Thu Dec 11 06:34:35 PST 2014

Perhaps as early as next month the first papers should start
appearing about a very large-scale study that has taken place in
Sweden over the past couple of years about landscape-scale effects of
neonicotinoid (foliar spray, I think) use on crops. I just learned
about this today while at the joint annual meeting of the British and
French ecological societies that I'm attending in France. Apparently
the researchers are being very careful about not giving any results
prior to the peer-reviewed publications.  I heard about this from a
British researcher who says some of his graduate students had
problems this summer because their research sites in canola fields
were decimated by herbivores, apparently in part a consequence of the
EU ban on use of neonicotinoids that is still in place.

David Inouye