[Pollinator] Farm Bill and Pollinators - from Chip Taylor

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Mon Feb 10 16:59:36 PST 2014

Correction - this was sent to the LISTSERV from Chip  Taylor -  thanks,
Chip!

In a message dated 2/10/2014 4:55:44 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
jt at pollinator.org writes:

Thanks  to Laurie Davies Adams of the Pollinator Partnership for forwarding
the  below:

E&E  News:

AGRICULTURE:

Bees get short shrift  in farm bill

Amanda Peterka,  E&E reporter

Published: Wednesday,  February 5, 2014

Count bees among the  losers in the long farm bill debate.

A short provision that  would have compelled the government to address
declining pollinator  populations is not in the final bill that President Obama
is expected to sign  into law Friday.

The proposal from  Democratic Reps. Alcee Hastings of Florida and Marcy
Kaptur of Ohio would have  improved coordination among federal agencies in
addressing the decline of both  managed and wild pollinator populations. It also
would have required the  government to regularly report on the health of
bees, birds, bats and other  insects.

Over the last few  months, bee advocates had urged Congress to include the
provision. Pollinators  contribute between $20 billion and $30 billion a
year to the nation's  agricultural production by pollinating fruits and
specialty crops like  almonds, according to the advocates.

But in recent years,  pollinator populations have fallen dramatically.
According to the U.S.  Agriculture Department, more than 30 percent of managed
honeybee colonies, for  example, were lost in the United States during the
winter of  2012-13.

"I'm terribly  disappointed that the limited language that I requested was
stripped from the  bill. And I don't like that," Hastings said. "I don't
think I was asking for  anything of major consequence, and I was trying to
dramatize, and will  continue to do so, that this nation -- indeed, this world
-- has a pollinator  problem."

The Hastings-Kaptur  proposal easily passed the House in a 273-149 vote
last summer. Nearly 60  organizations, including the Center for Food Safety,
the Sierra Club, the  Natural Resources Defense Council, Pesticide Action
Network North America and  the Xerces Society had supported its inclusion in the
final farm bill (_E&ENews  PM_
(http://www.eenews.net/greenwire/2014/02/05/stories/www.eenews.net/eenewspm/stories/1059989305/) , Oct. 23, 2013).

During the Senate  floor debate, Senate Environment and Public Works
Chairwoman Barbara Boxer  (D-Calif.) offered an amendment nearly identical to the
measure, but it was  not brought up for a vote.

Advocates blasted its  exclusion from the final bill.

"Directing our  government to thoroughly assess and monitor pollinator
declines should have  been an easy decision," the Center for Food Safety said in
a  statement.

House and Senate  agriculture leaders have touted the farm bill as a
compromise but have  acknowledged that not everybody is happy with the final
product.

"I think that's an  issue that is a legitimate concern. I think that's an
issue that has to be  addressed," House Agriculture Chairman Frank Lucas
(R-Okla.) said of the  pollinator measure's exclusion. "I believe, with all
fairness, that it has not  received quite as much attention in some quadrants as
perhaps the citrus  issues that we do take care of in the bill."

The final farm bill  does direct USDA to encourage farmers to protect
pollinator habitat as part of  voluntary conservation plans.

Hastings, who hails  from farm territory in Florida, said he would continue
to push for  congressional action to address declining pollinator
populations and hoped to  have an "ample discussion" with House Agriculture Committee
 leaders.

"How I'm fond of  putting it is: If you don't have no bees, we ain't going
to have no food," he  said.

Laurie  Davies Adams
Executive Director
Pollinator Partnership