[Pollinator] Pollinator conservation hits the cosmetics world!

Matthew Shepherd mdshepherd at xerces.org
Tue Feb 18 14:50:02 PST 2014

Thanks to Chantecaille, a New York-based luxury cosmetics company,
pollinator conservation is getting some excellent exposure in the beauty
blogs and publications! Here's one example.

Matthew

http://bestthingsinbeauty.blogspot.com/2014/02/chantecaille-save-bees-palett
e-for.html

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Chantecaille Save the Bees Palette for Spring 2014
<http://bestthingsinbeauty.blogspot.com/2014/02/chantecaille-save-bees-palet
te-for.html>

<http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mxpKwzfkbV4/UwDi7UEQ18I/AAAAAAAAk8U/XNqCptVeL5c/s
1600/Chantecaile+Bees.jpg>
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mxpKwzfkbV4/UwDi7UEQ18I/AAAAAAAAk8U/XNqCptVeL5c/s4
00/Chantecaile+Bees.jpg

What a glorious day! The sun is shining, and the sky is blue. That plus
Chantecaille's refillable Save the Bees Palette
<http://chantecaille.com/product_web_detail.cfm?cat=25&pid=789>  ($83) will
brighten anyone's day.

I finally got a chance to get outside to take photos. The conditions for
clean photography aren't good. It was hard to find any backdrops that
weren't bright, white silvery snow. The snow reflected light a bit too much.
I did my best.

This refreshing eye and cheek palette artfully fuses the natural beauty of
the bees' habitat with the Spring 2014 runway trends. Five percent of
proceeds from the Save the Bees Palette will be donated to The Xerces
Society <http://www.xerces.org/>  to help protect bees and our environment.

The Palette features Honey, a glistening golden highlighter for both eyes
and cheeks; two new eye shades: Sky, an eye-opening sheer blue, and Beehive,
a versatile grey beige; and Nectar Blush, a flattering warm coral-pink.
These shades will work for all of us.

I think the colors could not be prettier. Although the metallic bees will
disappear with a wipe or two of your brush, they leave behind beautiful
memories - and an incentive to do everything you can do to save the bees.

Acting as nature's pollinators, bees have played an extremely vital role in
our terrestrial ecosystems for millions of years. Unfortunately, in the past
century, a number of bee populations have become extinct as a result of
disease outbreak, monocultures like corn and soy, and repeated use of
dangerous pesticides. Other species are declining rapidly Their dramatic
decline not only threatens our harvests and livelihoods, but serves as a
serious warning sign that our environmental attitude and practices must
change.

What can we do as individuals? Saving the Bees only takes a few simple
everyday changes, such as:

*	Plant wildflower seeds;
*	Eliminate pesticide and herbicide use (this gardener did so years
ago);
*	Purchase local honey from community beekeepers;
*	Sign the Pollinator Pledge
<http://www.xerces.org/pollinatorprotectionpledge/> ; and
*	Bring back the pollinators (click here to learn more).

Of course, you can purchase Chantecaille's Save the Bees Palette to donate
to The Xerces Society <http://www.xerces.org/>  to help protect bees and our
environment.

Honey, the golden shade at the top left in the palette, is shown at the top
of my arm. Although it is technically a highlighter, I find it a stunning
golden eye shadow. Beehive, second down on my arm is one of the most
beautiful cool taupes I've ever seen - or used. I have a feeling it will
become my everyday go-to taupe. That means, of course, that I will have to
purchase a few more Save the Bees Palettes. Sky, a beautiful accent shade,
brightens the eyes. It's almost white, so don't worry about the "blue eye
shadow" stigma. The blush, Nectar, is a perfect warm pink, one that flatters
the other shades, as you can see in the photo of Olivia Chantecaille shown
at the top of this feature.

All of these shades leave an elegant glean, without glitter or
micro-particles - my favorite finish. It's forgiving for all age groups.

Can you see show Olivia (or her artist) used Sky on the inner corners of her
lids to brighten up her look? I'm guessing her lids were covered with Honey,
then Beehive was used to top it in the outer half of her lids. The light
cheek, composed with Nectar, added a finishing touch to her always beautiful
countenance.

For the most part, my favorite palettes were all made by Chantecaille. I
love the company's makeup because it fits my lifestyle. I'm not saying that
I wear Chantecaille exclusively, but it has become a regular part of my
beauty routine - both the skin care and the color.

Even the box of the Save the Bees Palette is lovely.  Too bad my reflection
on the cover marred its perfect beauty. I love the image; this is one box I
will be saving.

I should have shown you Save the Bees weeks ago. Mother Nature conspired
against me, but it's a spring palette, after all. Today's sunshine reminds
me that spring is not too far off. I hope you'll take a look here, even
though you've probably seen photos taken in indoor studios.

The Neiman Marcus Spring Beauty Event starts February 19 and runs through
March 2. Chantecaille has beautiful new colors for eyes and lips to start
your season off right. The gift is a medium-sized ivory mock croc cosmetic
bag with deluxe sizes of Bio Lifting Neck Cream, Bio Lifting Mask, Mirth
Lipgloss, and Black Faux Cils Mascara with a qualifying purchase. If you
need help, give Jeannine Barnes a call at (202) 966-9700, extension 2289.
You will also be given the Beauty Event tote with any purchase in Beauty of
$125 or more.