[Pollinator] "Flowers" of the Emerald Ash Tree Borer?

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Wed Jul 2 07:46:51 PDT 2014

Dear Colleagues:

If you believe the most recent article in the Science Section of the New
York Times you will come to the conclusion that the Emerald Ash Tree Borer
(Agrilus planipennnis) will destroy 99% of mature ash trees in the central,
United States.  See the following link.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/01/science/earth/ash-forests-after-emerald-ash-borers-destroy-them.html?_r=0

Perhaps we could be of use to state, federal or local programs to control
infestations.  This rather pretty beetle (although, handsome is as handsome
does) is a member of the family, Buprestidae.  In Australia, the buprestids
are important flower beetles.  Many species are found on flowers
(especially in the eucalyptus family, Myrtaceae) eating pollen and drinking
nectar.  The various buprestids are often called jewel beetles because they
are so brightly colored.  Here's a link to some nice photos.

http://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisbane_beetles/Buprestidae.htm

The literature on the emerald ash beetle suggests it is also a pollen and
nectar feeder as an adult.  That is why they use giant purple sticky traps
(known as Barneys; yeah, I know).  As in most insect dispersals it's the
winged adult that travels the greatest distance.  I wonder if we might
start making collections of the beetles as we examine local flora in bloom?
 We need to know the following things and combine them into one manuscript.

1) Number of beetles observed on flowers and date of observation.
2)  Identification of flowers.
3)  Color of flowers (to the human eye).  Using a UV lens camera would be
nice but they are expensive.
4)  Were the beetles observed en copula?  Supposedly, those purple sticky
traps are full of beetles "doing it."
5) Collection of pinned voucher specimens with locations.

This could become a model for citizen science but let's discuss the
possibilities before attempting anything.

Peter