[Pollinator] NY Bee Wellness Newsletter SUMMER 2014

Pat seawaytrailhoney at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 06:29:39 PDT 2014

Click to Subscribe

NY Bee Wellness Newsletter SUMMER 2014

View this email in your browser
NY Bee Wellness Workshops, NYBeeWellness.org
USDA NIFA Beginning Farmers and Ranchers Development Program,
Grant # 2011-494400-30631

The Height of Summer!
                Time to assess your hives for health and winter preparedness!

Room is still available for the 2 day intensive NY Bee Wellness Workshop in Batavia, August 9 & 10, a great opportunity!
Reviews from the June 2014 workshop:
   "I attended the workshop in June. I was totally exhausted both evenings, but it was great. I learned a lot. I recommend it."                          -Jorg K. (Long Island)

"I attended an amazing Train the Trainer class last week. Top instructors, small class size, inexpensive! The best bee related event I have ever been to. This makes me a better keeper, and now I have lots of information to pass on."
                                                    -Adam N. (Massachusetts)

Start checking for mites!
Use a sugar, alcohol, or ether roll, or sticky board; be consistent with your protocol: nurse bees from capped brood, location; within the next month the varroa mite levels are expected increase sharply; Stay ahead of them to assess the need for treatment or survivability for winter. Remember: mites vector or transmit viruses, there are now 24 viruses that have been detected in honey bees.

Hives not thriving?, check fornosema, for more info see Randy Oliver's comments and techniques.
Note: Informational flyers about Nosema  Ceranae have been ordered and will be distributed to clubs this Summer; please contact me for more info.

Small hive beetle- an idea mentioned at the OSU workshop was to use the trademark Handi-wipes to trap SHB in at mesh container. Supposedly the bees feet (tarsus) do not get tangled but the structure of the SHB feet and legs cause them to become tangled in the fiber. Let us know if this works.

FYI-  Results of theNY Bee Wellness Spring Survey, 207 non-migratory respondents; Average 46% winter loss, most attributed to cold and starvation.
Congratulations to a 2012 alumnus of the NY Bee Wellness Workshop, Denise Ellsworth!, her Ohio bee wellness, the Ohio State University  Honey Bee Health Workshop
was very informative. Links and info from this will be added to the NY Bee Wellness website.

Evaluating Queens- are your colonies up to snuff?
Videos on assessing queen performance by Jim Tew:
#12- Evaluating a queens performance
Ohio State University WEBINAR series- all webinars are recorded and can be viewed anytime.

Brood Mapper at Ohio State- learn about this citizen science project.

Malcolm Sanford's latest APIS Newsletter

UC Davis Bee File-May/June, E. Mussen

+If you have an article, photos, or other info to share, please send to:
info at nybeewellness.org

EVENTS
* July 20, Bee Wellness Workshop- Western NY Honey Producers, 1-5p

July 28-August 1,EAS 2014, Kentucky

August 9 & 10, NY Bee Wellness 2 day intensive workshop, Batavia NY (Genesee County), with Diana Sammataro, Larry Connor, Les Eccles & Melanie Kempers of Ontario, Canada TTP

October 19, Long Island Bee Conference: Delaplane, Caron, MA Frazier

Please contact us to have your event included.

*Continuation and expansion of the NY Bee Wellness program is planned. The USDA funding will be completed this summer. Please consider donating to further more educational programs and outreach. Additional fund raisers are t-shirts, hats, and books.

 Thank you

                  - Pat Bono, Project Director, NY Bee Wellness
                           NYBeeWellness at gmail.com

NY Bee Wellness T-Shirts  Size XL 17.00 incl s/h(PayPal)
New York Honey ball caps
Printed 17.00 s/h incl (PayPal)
Embroidered 22.00 s/h incl (PayPal)
Copyright © 2014 NY Bee Wellness, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
POB 25291 Rochester NY 14625