[Pollinator] "Bee" the Difference and Help Save the Bees

Matthew Shepherd mdshepherd at xerces.org
Tue Jun 17 06:19:32 PDT 2014

FROM: Wall Street Journal

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20140616-902500.html

6/16/14

*"Bee" the Difference and Help Save the Bees*

In Honor of National Pollinator Week, Cascadian Farm Pledges its Support to
Protect Pollinators

SEDRO-WOOLLEY, Wash., June 16, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- One out of every three
bites of food is made possible by bees and other pollinators. Pollinator
populations are declining worldwide and could have a great impact on the
food supply. To help raise awareness of this critical issue, Cascadian Farm
partnered with The Xerces Society, a nonprofit leader in pollinator
conservation and research. Through its partnership, Cascadian Farm is
donating money to support bee habitat restoration and consumer education,
as well as promoting ways to directly get involved in the cause.

"The majority of Cascadian Farm's products are dependent on bees, and we
feel a responsibility to protect them," said Taylor West, marketing manager
for Cascadian Farm. "The certified organic farming practices we follow
contribute to overall bee health, as do the wildflower-rich habitats we're
working to restore on our farms. Funding habitat restoration and farmer
training by The Xerces Society and educating our consumers about the issue
and what they can do to help will be a continued positive force for change,
one step at a time."

Creating a Buzz to Save the Bees

Cascadian Farm is demonstrating its commitment to helping save the bees in
a variety of ways, including:

   -- Donating $1, up to $100,000 maximum donation, to The Xerces Society's

      "Bring Back the Pollinators" campaign for every Buzz Crunch Honey
Almond

      cereal purchase made now through Jan. 1, 2016 (available at Whole
Foods

      Market)

   -- Following certified organic practices, which rely on natural
biological

      systems for pest and weed control, thus avoiding use of synthetic

      pesticides and herbicides

   -- Working to restore wildflower-rich habitat on farms, a strategy that
has

      been shown to reverse the decline of wild pollinators and improve the

      health of bees

   -- Educating consumers about how they can make a difference at home,

      including planting native wildflowers; creating homes for bees; and

      spreading the word to others to bring awareness to the issues facing
bees

      and other pollinators

   -- Supporting research into bee health

   -- Funding bee-friendly almond farming practices in California, in

      collaboration with Whole Foods Market and The Xerces Society

"We rely on environmentally-conscious consumers and companies, like
Cascadian Farm, to help protect pollinators and their essential habitats, "
said Scott Hoffman Black, executive director of The Xerces Society. "The
issues facing pollinators ultimately affect us all, and having a leading
organic company set an example for environmental stewardship through
educating its customers and supporting bee health research will have
tremendous impact in this effort."

"Whole Foods Market appreciates the partnership of Cascadian Farm and their
efforts to support pollinator protection," said Dwight Richmond, global
grocery purchasing coordinator for Whole Foods Market. "We encourage people
interested in learning more about how to protect pollinators to visit their
local Whole Foods Market store on Saturday, June 21 where we will be
hosting 'Human Bee-in' events with samples, family-friendly activities and
plenty of education on how to protect the bees at home and with the
products shoppers purchase."

To find out more about how you can get involved, visit
www.cascadianfarm.com/bees.

ABOUT CASCADIAN FARM

Since 1972, Cascadian Farm(TM) has grown beyond its original farm and is
recognized as a pioneer in the organic movement. Cascadian Farm was organic
before "organic" was a trend. Since day one, the brand has been dedicated
to organic goodness. Cascadian Farm offers more than 75 delicious,
high-quality organic products including cereals, granolas, frozen fruits,
vegetables and potatoes, fruit spreads, granola bars, juice concentrates
and more.