[Pollinator] Fwd: Native honeybee in Yunnan

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Wed Mar 12 08:07:08 PDT 2014

Dr Ren Zong-Xin is my research colleague at the Botanical Institute in
Kunming.  He has a particular interest in the pollination biology of
traditional medicinal species as a large proportion of the species in the
Chinese pharmacopeia are now in cultivation.  Here are his recent thoughts
and photos of beekeeping, Apis cerana, in his hometown.  Please note that
A. cerana is NOT a domesticated species in Yunnan, or any other part of
China.  Local people go into the forest and remove colonies of this species
just as the Mayans in southern Mexico and Guatemala continue to remove
colonies of Melipona.  In Yunnan forests A. cerana appears to prefer to
nest in oaks.   Please look at the bee on the yellow brassica flowers.
 Considering the long antenna isn't that a drone or are we looking as some
other, native, Eucera-like species?

It is my hope that Professor Ren will join NAPPC. He completed field and
lab work on several Native American wildflowers while "post-docking"  in my
lab in 2013.

Peter