[Pollinator] Bee charity brings researcher to Harper Admas University

Ladadams at aol.com Ladadams at aol.com
Wed Mar 19 07:28:56 PDT 2014

Bee  charity brings researchers to Harper Adams University to discuss
pollinator  research programme
By _Matthew  Appleby_
(http://www.hortweek.com/news/author/3211/matthew-appleby)  Tuesday, 18 March  2014
_Be the first to comment_
(http://www.hortweek.com/news/1285772/Bee-charity-brings-researchers-Harper-Adams-University-discuss-pollinator-research-progr
amme/#disqus_thread)
A  charity which strives to promote the importance of bees has brought
together  researchers from across the country for the launch of a pollinator
research  programme.

Viv  Marsh and Simon Leather

Praise  Bee, set up by Alstromeria grower Viv Marsh, works alongside the
Church of England and other denominations to champion the work and increase
populations of the native mason bee.

A research programme has  recently been devised in Shropshire to provide
conclusive data ahead of a  campaign to progressively increase the population
of mason bees. This programme  was discussed at a meeting held on campus
with delegates representing a variety  of organisations, including Shropshire
Wildlife Trust, Pershore College, RAF  Shawbury and Natural England.

Former Harper Adams student and  trustee of Praise Bee Marsh, said: "In
2013, the Praise Bee team released around  500 bees across the Shrewsbury
borough after nearly 10 years of  research.

"The research programme is running alongside the current  Defra UK bee
study and we are now being joined by four post-graduate students  from Harper
Adams University and Bristol University.

"This year we  are setting up research sites at Harper Adams, as well as
Pershore College and  Walford and North Shropshire College, overseen by
Professor Simon Leather and  Bristol University's Jane Memmott.

"The meeting has given us a  chance to bring together a professional
research group ahead of the programme,  pool our knowledge and officially welcome
Harper Adams on  board.

"The ultimate aim of the charity is to use churchyards and  private gardens
to increase the population of mason bees and establish a  natural,
sustainable level."

Harper Adams Professor of Entomology  Professor Simon Leather said:
"Research has shown that most pollination is not  done by honey bees, but is
instead delivered by other species of bee such as the  mason bee and solitary
bees, as well as moths, flies and other insects.
"As  the UK's only provider of postgraduate courses in entomology and
related areas,  and Shropshire's first university, we are delighted to be
involved in the Praise  Bee research programme and look forward to contributing our
expertise."

Latest  Stories From Horticulture Week

    *   _Paradise  Circus public realm contract goes to Grant Associates_
(http://www.hortweek.com/Landscape/article/1285796/Paradise-Circus-public-real
m-contract-goes-Grant-Associates/)
    *   _Chichester  College secures third win at Ideal Home Show_
(http://www.hortweek.com/Landscape/article/1285792/Chichester-College-secures-third-w
in-Ideal-Home-Show/)
    *   _Non-natives  as good as natives for bugs, survey finds_
(http://www.hortweek.com/Landscape/article/1285788/Non-natives-good-natives-bugs-survey
-finds/)
    *   _Sit-up  TV's creditors accept company voluntary arrangement_
(http://www.hortweek.com/Retail/article/1285780/Sit-up-TVs-creditors-accept-compan
y-voluntary-arrangement/)
    *   _Langham Estate tops sparkling wine tasting amid  "best ever"
field_
(http://www.hortweek.com/Edibles/article/1285781/Langham-Estate-tops-sparkling-wine-tasting-amid-best-ever-field/)

Article  Tags

    *   _Pests  and diseases_
(http://www.hortweek.com/search/articles/phrase/"Pests%20and%20diseases"/) ,
    *   _Protected  Ornamentals_
(http://www.hortweek.com/search/articles/phrase/"Protected%20Ornamentals"/) ,
    *   _Ornamentals_
(http://www.hortweek.com/search/articles/phrase/"Ornamentals"/)

    *   _Print  this article_
(http://www.hortweek.com/news/1285772/Bee-charity-brings-researchers-Harper-Adams-University-discuss-pollinator-research-p
rogramme/#print)
    *   _RSS_ (http://www.hortweek.com/rss/news/)
    *   _Twitter_
(http://www.twitter.com/?status=http://www.hortweek.com/news/1285772/)
    *   _Facebook_
(http://www.facebook.com/share.php?u=http://www.hortweek.com/news/1285772/&title=Bee%20charity%20brings%20researchers%20to%20Harper%2
0Adams%20University%20to%20discuss%20pollinator%20research%20programme)
    *   _Lin_
(http://www.linkedin.com/shareArticle?mini=true&url=http://www.hortweek.com/news/1285772/&title=Bee%20charity%20brings%20researchers%20to%