[Pollinator] Value of bumble bees and how to deal with nests

Mark Seetin MSeetin at usapple.org
Tue May 27 09:42:53 PDT 2014

This is a tough situation.  Having experienced the wrath of bumblebees after accidentally stepping on a nest, I can say firsthand that they will instantly swarm and sting. - so, unless there is an effective way to move the nests,  it may come down to a value judgment about what is more valuable - children's health and wellbeing or the bumblebees.

What if one or more of the students happens to be allergic to bee stings?   According to the Boston Children's hospital (and other sources) , about 3 percent (1 in every 33 individuals) of the population is allergic to bee stings, and  if the allergy is severe, anaphylactic shock could occur in minutes.  I hope the teacher has an "Epipen" and knows how to use it.

Mark W. Seetin | Director, Regulatory and Industry Affairs | U.S. Apple Association
8233 Old Courthouse Rd, Ste 200| Vienna, VA 22182 | * 703.442.8850 |Cell 703.201-2379 | *  mseetin at usapple.org<mailto:jallen at usapple.org>
Register Today!<http://usapple.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=183&Itemid=8/> 2014 Apple Crop Outlook & Marketing Conference, August 21-22, The Ritz-Carlton Chicago