[Pollinator] Value of bumble bees and how to deal with nests

Victoria MacPhail vmacphail at gmail.com
Wed May 28 10:07:24 PDT 2014

Hello everyone.  The North American Pollinator Partnership developed two
brochures a few years ago that may be relevant to pass on to the teacher
and parents: Bumble bees are Essential - Helping Pollinators Thrive and
Inviting Bees to Your Property - No Fear of Stings.  Wildlife Preservation
Canada and the Pollinator Partnership recently updated these for Canada too.

The "North American" (but US focused) versions are available at:
https://pollinator.org/brochures.htm

The "Canadian" versions are available at:
http://wildlifepreservation.ca/insect-pollinators/ (see side-bar about half
way down the page).

I know for Canada, I researched the stats and found that you were more
likely to drown in your bathtub than from a bee or a wasp sting (I think
the US equivalent said more likely to die from a lightening strike than
from a bee or a wasp sting).

The 'No fear of stings' brochure in particular is great as it talks about
this and other aspects of bees.

Good luck!

Victoria MacPhail