[Pollinator] Pinned specimen loan request

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Tue Nov 11 09:53:59 PST 2014

In February 2015 the Missouri Botanical Garden will hold its annual orchid
show running until mid-March 2015.  The theme of the 2015 show is "Orchids
and their Pollinators."  A display case is under construction to show
pinned specimens angled so it's possible to see where pollinaria are
deposited on the insects.  Dr David Roubik has graciously loaned 6 of his
euglossine bees.  The Bernhardt/Meier lab will provide bees from two or
three mid-western Cypripedium spies.  A colleague in Australia is sending
male thynnid wasps that pollinated bird orchids and spider caladenias.

We don't need anymore bees or wasps.  What we do need are some nicely
pinned and spread butterfly and/or moth specimens that usually carry the
pollinaria on their tongues.  Has anyone collected and pinned the
pollinators of our own American, pink and white Plantanthera species
(fringed orchids), for example? Specimens will be stored in the fumigated,
insect cabinet in the Bernhardt/Meier lab until they go on display and will
then be returned to the owner(s) at the end of the exhibition.

If you have any specimens to loans, or know someone willing to correspond,
please mail boxes to the following address

Peter Bernhardt
Department of Biology
3507 Laclede Avenue
St. Louis University