[Pollinator] FW: White House's new Pollinator Health Task Force is accepting public comments

Laurie Adams lda at pollinator.org
Wed Nov 19 19:29:49 PST 2014

*From:* David Fischer [mailto:david.fischer at bayer.com]
*Sent:* Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:22 PM
*To:* Laurie Davies Adams (lda at pollinator.org)
*Subject:* RE: [Pollinator] White House's new Pollinator Health Task Force
is accepting public comments

Somehow I got bumped off the pollinator-bounces listserv, but a colleague
at another company forwarded the attached post to me.  I’d appreciate it if
you could post the following from me in reply.

The campaign to ban neonicotinoid insecticides is misguided and if
successful will result in billions of dollars of lost income to US farmers
and increase the exposure of honey bees and other pollinators to
pesticides.  Use of a neonicotinoids soil or seed treatment replaces the
need for multiple spray applications of foliar insecticides.  The vast
majority of pesticide-related bee kills have occurred as a result of foliar
spraying.  This is because residues in pollen and nectar of a treated plant
are typically 1000 times greater when a chemical is applied as a foliar
spray.  This difference is obvious when one reviews the results of surveys
of pesticide residue levels in bee bread samples of commercial honey bee
colonies—neonicotinoids are among the least frequently detected compounds.
Going back to spraying older insecticide chemistries such as
organophosphates, carbamates and synthetic pyrethroids will also result in
greater risks to fish and wildlife.

There is no evidence linking neonicotinoids to bee declines.  Honey bee
colony numbers in the US, according to the USDA NASS, declined from 6
million colonies at the end of world war II to 2.6 million colonies in the
mid 1990s, when the first neonicotnoid came on the market.  Since then, HB
colony numbers have remained about the same, perhaps increasing slightly in
the last 10 years.  Thus, the decline in honey bee colony numbers occurred
*before* neonicotinoids were introduced.

There is an ever increasing need to maximize crop yields on our existing
agricultural lands in order to feed a growing world population.
Neonicotinoids have become the most widely used insecticide class because
they are extremely effective at controlling pest insects that may
significantly reduce crop yields.  What we should be telling the White
House is to instruct the EPA to stick to the science and conduct an
objective review of the risks and benefits of neonicotinoid products, as
mandated by law.

Dave

*David L. Fischer, Ph.D.*

Director, Pollinator Safety

[image: cid:image002.png at 01CEB90B.FB8A3280]

Environmental Safety

Development North America

Bayer CropScience, LP

Research Triangle Park, NC 27709