[Pollinator] Safe in St. Louis

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Tue Nov 25 11:15:02 PST 2014

I apologize if this message is inappropriate as it has nothing to do with
pollinators.  However, as Ferguson is within the St. Louis megalopolis some
of you may be concerned about pollinator people and NAPPC members like
myself, Justin Zweck and Dr. Retha Meier.

St. Louis University remains open today (Tuesday).  My last lecture ends at
3:30 and I will go home.  This University closes down annually for the
Thanksgiving Holiday (27 Nov.) and we don't reopen until Monday, 1
December.  This allows students sufficient time to return home and then
return to campus.  I might come in on Friday to check messages but that
depends on what happens in this section of the city over the next few days.

The Grand Jury's decision and footage of the riots in Ferguson went around
the world last night.  The BBC News affiliate on our American Public
Television station actually broadcast earlier interviews (before the riots)
and there were reporters with English accents asking questions after the
reading of the Grand Jury's decision lat night.  The New York Times sent
reporters to interview people last week and the article they published
Friday last left me with the impression that nothing much would happen,
regardless of the decision.  I was wrong.

Retha and I do not live near Ferguson.  St. Louis University is not near
Ferguson.  It is peaceful day  right now.   However, last night there were
also demonstrations along the Compton Heights area and the Shaw
neighborhood.  Those neighborhoods are a couple of kilometers from this
campus and less than a kilometer from the Missouri Botanical Gardens.  Two
faculty colleagues and Mr Zweck live there.  This means they live near the
home of a second teenager who was shot and killed buy a security guard a
few weeks after the first policeman shot the first teenager in Ferguson.
Helicopters caught several acts of civil disobedience in Compton and Shaw
(stopping traffic on main thoroughfares) around 11:15 when I turned off the
television and went to sleep.  Some buildings and statues were spray
painted earlier that day (four-five hours before the televised decision).
Unfortunately, the Compton-Shaw area around Grand Avenue suffered looting
and vandalism.  Business and shops are boarding up now against what could
happen tonight.  Fortunately, there are no fires in that area, for now,
unlike Ferguson where at least 6 business were gutted.

The Missouri Botanical Gardens is protected by high walls and fences but I
will check out the facilities within a few days.

Wishing You All a Happy Thanksgiving,
Peter Bernhardt