[Pollinator] Oct. 11 Seminar, Bee Fossils

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Fri Oct 10 10:03:52 PDT 2014

I've been debating whether or not to share this information with members.
Tomorrow is the 61st annual symposium at the Missouri Botanical Garden.
The following lecture may be of interest to some people in the bi-state
area.

4:20                 *Santiago Ramírez*, University of California, Davis

“Molecular and fossil data reveal the coevolutionary dynamics of a
bee-orchid mutualism”

This is the same Dr Ramirez who identified amber fossils (Dominican
Republic) of euglossine bees carrying orchid pollinia several years ago.
He's also worked on the euglossine bee genome.  If you are interested in
attending the 50 minute talk contact Dr. Peter Hoch.   By this time, in the
afternoon, you should be able to walk into the Garden's auditorium
(visitor's center on Shaw) for free.

The reason I have been hesitant is that a residential area that leads to
the Garden on Shaw suffered another shooting of a teenager by a policeman
on Wednesday night with fatal consequences for the 18 year old.  There have
been protests (but only after dark) since then.  My Plant Ecology students
are attending the day of lectures tomorrow but have been instructed to
enter and leave the garden by avoiding the turn off at Grand and Shaw.

Peter