[Pollinator] Pollination and Breeding Systems (China)

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Wed Oct 15 07:31:46 PDT 2014

Dear Family and Colleagues:

Please find attached a combined review and original research paper written
with members of faculty of the Kunming Botanical Institute (Yunnan).  Most
of it was written with my former post-doc, Dr. Ren Zong-Xin.  We think this
paper has some new things to consider regarding the breeding and
pollination of both domesticated and semi-domesticated species.  The
interesting thing about traditional Chinese crops is that food is medicine
and medicine is food.  While the Chinese certainly hand-pollinate a number
of specialty crops (under rather recent domestication) it is hoped this
will correct the notion that ALL bees in China are dead and everything is
hand-pollinated.  Our new research on Codonopsis (Campanulaceae) is in here
and you might be surprised by the pollinator (the Chinese farmers weren't
surprised and they weren't amused).

Some of you have already received the galley of this paper.  This completed
version is bigger, bulkier and some of you may be unable to receive it.  I
can't help that except to make hard copies on request and snail mail them.

Peter

 ​
 ajbd1400075.pdf
<https://docs.google.com/a/slu.edu/file/d/0B7NXhAQx1fm9QWRPMGFicGpNOVU/edit?usp=drive_web>