[Pollinator] Fwd: Pollinators & Smuggling: TX man pleads guilty to smuggling dead hummingbirds

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Thu Sep 4 10:06:38 PDT 2014

Dear Pat:

Thanks for the clarification.  I am sharing this information with Dr.
Mayden who is teaching a course in animal diversity (for non majors) this
year and his course may touch on superstitions.  It's sad to think that
we've reached a level of affluence in America to the point that we are we
now importing folklore ultimately destructive to environments beyond our
borders.  Yecch!

Perhaps we need a page on the NAPPC website to bust superstitions about
native pollinators replacing them with facts?  For example, most male bees
feed themselves and DO pollinate flowers except in the naturalized,
commercial honeybee (Apis mellifera).  Monarchs in Canada DON"T fly all the
way to Mexico in autumn.,  They produce more than one generation along the
way  and it's the last generation produced that reaches Mexico.  The
hummingbird bill isn't a single tube.  There are two mandibles as in all
other birds.  Butterflies don't have hair-like stings that break off on
human skin (learned that one as a 7-year old). That sort of thing.  Let's
see what Laurie has to say.

Peter