[Pollinator] Fwd: Pollinators & Smuggling: TX man pleads guilty to smuggling dead hummingbirds

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Thu Sep 4 13:41:41 PDT 2014

Dear Lisa and Patricia:

A classic book to read is "Hummingbirds and their Flowers" by Verne and
Karen Grant (former Professors at the U. of Texas at Austin). This was one
of the first books to consider the evolutionary and ecological impact of
hummingbirds on the flora North of our Mexican border.  It has been years
since I read it but I recall that 6 hummingbird species migrate north in
the United States.  All but one or two species nest west of the Mississippi
with California and the American southwest the center of their diversity in
the Spring and summer.

In Australia, these days, some bird pollinators may be "spoiled" by people.
 The birds expect nectar substitutes and people give it to them although
they may not be healthy and lead to fatal, fungal infections.  Go to
Youtube and enter the word, lorrikeet, and you will see what I mean.
 Below, is a link to one of the few Youtube videos showing a rainbow
lorrikeet foraging naturally on a native red-orange Eucalyptus species.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHq-ao2GZv0

Peter