[Pollinator] Why aren't we growing more willows as an abundant source of pollen for bees? (Kevin Lindegaard)

Peter Bernhardt bernhap2 at slu.edu
Fri Sep 19 07:37:36 PDT 2014

Dear Vicki:

Here is something important to consider when dealing with early flowering
trees for honeybees and native bees, in general.  What is the nourishment
value of the pollen?  Perhaps Dr Jim Cane will weigh in on this one?

The reason I mention this is that, back in 1981, I worked on the
pollination of wattles (Australian acacias) for three years.  Many species
are winter-flowering trees and shrubs.  August is the Australian February,
Australia has over 600 native species, so rural people call it wattle
season.  No Australian species studied, to date, secretes floral nectar.
 They do secrete extra-floral nectar and naturalized honeybees have picked
up on this treat reserved usually for protective ants and wasps.

Anyway, our laboratory organized an Acacia colloquium and it attracted an
insect physiologist working on pollen sources for commercial honeybees.
 She said, acacias offered lots and lots of pollen (they are mass
flowerers) but the nutritional value of the cytoplasm was terribly low in
comparison to mass-flowering species that bloomed later in the spring.
 Honeybees had no choice and had to fill up on a low-grade product as
winter temperatures in Australia are very mild and hives are active and
foraging occurs far earlier than in the American midwest or northeast.

Once again, we need comment from Dr. Cane but I always presumed that the
starch granules in all pollen grains were indigestible to bees.  Only the
lipid and amino acid content is available and the best pollen for bees was
up to 33% digestible lipid and amino acid according to my advisor/boss, the
late, great Bruce Knox.  How do native and non-native willows stack up?  If
they are acacia junk-food makers what are the superior late-winter, early
flowering plant species for honeybees; coltsfoot, sand cherry, spice bush
(Lindera)?  I'd like some facts and figures instead of anecdotes.  Is a
home apiarist better off buying and planting ornamental almonds, for
example?

Meanwhile, I wonder if the attached will be of any interest to readers
(arrived this morning).

Peter